"Dark Knight Down": Day 1
- It's over. Batman is gone.
Synopsis for "Dark Knight Down"
Elsewhere in Gotham, Renée Montoya continues to monitor the Question as he lays dying in Kate's house. Kate has offered her home to them as long as they need it. Kate goes out as Batwoman while Renée sits and watches over the Question.
Nightwing and Robin beat up the thugs shipping guns to Gotham and attempt to get some answers, but get none as they all commit suicide.
In the desert, Bruce Wayne attempts to purge all the darkness that is within his body. The Ten-Eyed Brothers purge him of all the darkness and Batman is gone.
Batwoman continues to try and find Mannheim and is attacked once again by the man-beasts. Nightwing comes in to lend a hand. Nightwing agrees to help her find Mannheim.
Appearing in "Dark Knight Down"
- Alexander Luthor (Flashback only)
- Alfred Pennyworth (Flashback only)
- Bane (Flashback only)
- Barbara Gordon (Flashback only)
- The Joker (Flashback only)
- Mallory Kimball
- Robin/Red Hood (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Metal Men"
Appearing in "The Origin of the Metal Men"
- "Dark Knight Down" is reprinted in 52 Vol. 3 of the 2007 4-volume edition, 52 Volume Two of the 2016 2-volume edition, and 52 Omnibus.
- The ticker-tape at the bottom of the cover reads, "Death of the Batman!... Gotham Beast Wars continue!... I've got my eyes on you!..."
- The title for this issue is taken from the 1999 book, Black Hawk Down, (which was later adapted into a 2001 film).
- The Cult of the Ten-Eyed Brothers is based upon a Pre-Crisis character known as the Ten-Eyed Man. The Ten-Eyed Man fought both Batman and Man-Bat before meeting his final fate during the Crisis on Infinite Earths.