"Man Ain't Nothing But a Man": Day 1
- Steel, go! Let us sluggo the Nancies!
Synopsis for "Man Ain't Nothing But a Man"
Steel, Aquagirl, Beast Boy, Offspring and Raven storm the Metropolis offices of Lexcorp. Infinity, Inc. meets them in the lobby, prepared to protect Lex Luthor's interests. Steel takes down Nuklon with his kinetic hammer. Fury attacks him from behind, but Steel quickly disables him as well. Tired of dealing with hired goons, Steel rockets upwards to the penthouse to face Luthor directly.
When he arrives, Mercy Graves tries to hold him at bay with her sidearm, but the bullets bounce harmlessly off of Steel's armor. He elbows her in the chin, knocking her out. Everyman approaches him, assuming the form of his niece, Natasha Irons. He then shape-shifts into a giant mutant crustacean and attempts to ensnare Steel inside of his giant claws. Although the attack destroys his armor, Steel bursts free from Everyman's grip. Everyman tumbles backwards through the hole that Steel created and falls down several stories.
Luthor finally decides to make his own move. He blasts Steel with a concentrated dose of heat vision, but Irons manages to keep charging at him. He smashes his hammer across Luthor's head, but Lex grabs it, and stabs him through the stomach with it. Luthor then uses his super strength to beat Steel nearly to death.
Natasha figures out that a close range electrical magnetic pulse is required to cancel out the Everyman Project powers. She rewires her uncle's kinetic hammer to emit a low-yield EM pulse. The plan works, and Luthor loses all of his super-abilities. Steel takes advantage of this weakness and beats him up.
In Kahndaq, pouring rains continue to fall, yet plants continue to wither and die. The torrential elements create civil unrest and people begin rioting in the street. Black Adam is powerless to do anything about it. Osiris blames himself, and feels that his actions against the Suicide Squad have somehow cursed him. Confiding in Sobek, he decides to leave Kahndaq in search of the Rock of Eternity.
Appearing in "Man Ain't Nothing But a Man"
- This issue shipped on February 7th, 2007 (April by indicia).
- This issue is reprinted in 52 Vol. 4 of the 2007 4-volume edition, 52 Volume Two of the 2016 2-volume edition, and 52 Omnibus.
- The ticker-tape on the bottom of the cover reads, "Lex Luthor vs. John Henry Irons!... The Teen Titans vs. Infinity, Inc.!... "
- At one point, Steel says "We're wasting time with the Redshirts! Fight!" A "Redshirt" is a fan-derived term used to describe expendable characters from the 1966 television series Star Trek. It was common for the main characters on the series to go on a dangerous mission with a secondary officer, tradtionally garbed in a red shirt, in tow. More often than not, these "redshirts" did not survive to see the end of the episode.
- Beast Boy's line about the "Sluggos" and the "Nancies" is a reference to the Nancy comic strip by Ernie Bushmiller. Sluggo was the name of Nancy's playmate.
- Lex Luthor makes plans on conquering the globe and renaming it Planet Lexor. Lexor was the name of an alien world that adopted Luthor in the Pre-Crisis Silver Age era.