"Deaths in the Family": Day 1
- I was wrong, Adam. It was never you that needed redemption...it was the rest of the world. The world of men that created such horrible creatures. The evil needs to die. I thought that we could be above them, but...for the pain they put our family through...avenge us.
- — Isis
Synopsis for "Deaths in the Family"
In Kahndaq, Isis' efforts to make rain have been failing. She begs Black Adam to appeal for help, and Adam finally agrees to seek Captain Marve'sl help. Suddenly, Black Adam is struck by lightning, and feels stronger. He knows that it is the power that he once bestowed upon Osiris. Heading toward the palace, Adam and Isis find Amon's partially digested body, in mortal form. In grief, Isis begs Adam to do something, but it is far to late.
Sobek emerges and reveals himself as Yurrd the Unknown, the Horseman of Famine. He tells Adam and Isis that he merely played the part of a timid, friendly creature. Yurrd's true allies, the Four Horsemen, reveal themselves, claiming responsibility for the misfortunes that have befallen Kahndaq in recent weeks. They tell him it is his punishment for rejecting Intergang's request for safe passage through Kahndaq. Black Adam lunges at Sobek and hyper-extends his jaws, killing him.
Zorrm, the Horseman of Pestilence, disgorges a wave of filth and putrescence, inundating Isis. She quickly begins to falter to the effects of the wasting disease. She channels the elements to aid her, but they prove fruitless.
Rogga, the Horseman of War, engages Black Adam, smashing him through several pillars and pounding him into the ground. Azraeuz, the Silent King, quietly watches, waiting to take his turn. Roggra mocks Adam, saying that he failed to protect his first family all those millennia ago, and that his son begged for his life. Adam plunges his fist into War's mid-section and pulls out his innards. He then uses the creature's arm-cannon to blast away at the head of Pestilence.
Finally, Azraeus takes on Adam, nearly overpowering him. Dying, Isis uses the last vestige of power to summon a geyser of lava that erupts from the ground overwhelming Azraeuz. The Horseman of Death ascends into the sky and disappears. Black Adam does not pursue him, but instead rushes to Isis' side. Riddled with disease, she asks her husband to avenge her death, and then quietly passes on. A bolt of lightning streaks out of the sky and the power of Isis returns to Black Adam.
In Nanda Parbat, Renée Montoya observes a rose that Isis gave her wilt and die. She knows that it can only mean that Isis is dead. Richard Dragon and Tot tell her that it is time for her to leave Nanda Parbat and investigate this most recent string of questions. They arm her with Charlie's hat, trench coat and a supply of pseudoderm.
Appearing in "Deaths in the Family"
- This issue shipped on March 7th, 2007.
- This issue includes DC Nation #51.
- Final appearance of Isis. Funeral services for Osiris and she are held in Week 45.
- Final appearance of Sobek; dies in this issue. Revealed as the 4th Horseman, Yurrd. A portion of Sobek's hide makes a cameo appearance in Week 52 as a pair of boots.
- This issue is reprinted in 52 Vol. 4 of the 2007 4-volume edition, 52 Volume Two of the 2016 2-volume edition, and 52 Omnibus.
- The ticker-tape at the bottom of the cover reads, "Leaving Nanda Parbat... The Lady in Red... Fighting the Four Horeseman".