"Asked and Answered": Day 1
- Some questions can only be answered with a mask.
Appearing in "Asked and Answered"
- Science Squad
Synopsis for "Asked and Answered"
Nightwing and Montoya raid a night-club and fight against more Intergang members. They still have no idea where Bruno Manheim is, however.
Nightwing and Montoya burst into Kate Kane's home only to find that Whisper A'Daire and her mutated Intergang agents have already arrived. While they fight off the creatures, Whisper gets the drop on Kate. She injects her with a drug and takes her to a hidden sanctuary.
Nightwing and Montoya continue fighting Intergang's monster horde. One of their number, however, Brother Abbot, betrays his colleagues and joins with them. He no longer believes in the prophecy and he thinks that Manheim and Whisper are insane.
Before fleeing the crime scene, the monsters activate a device which sets off satellite energy cannons all across the city. Montoya tells Dick that he is the only one that can find all of the devices in time and shut them down. Meanwhile, she plans on tracking down Kate. As she leaves, she activates a sample of pseudoderm and uses it to disguise her face, finally adopting the identity of the Question.
She follows Intergang's trail to Cathedral Square where Kate is being held captive. As she enters the church, she finds Manheim standing before an altar preparing to offer Kate up as a human sacrifice. She fights past several more monster-men, but she is too late. He plunges a ritualistic dagger into Kate's chest. The Question begins shooting wildly at him, driving him back against the wall. While the two fight, Kate struggles to rise from the altar. She pulls the dagger from her chest and hurls it at Manheim's back. The knife plunges in and he falls over dead. The Question rushes to her side, finding she only has moments to live.
Appearing in "The Origin of the Birds of Prey"
- The Joker (Cameo) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Birds of Prey"
This is the origins of how Barbara Gordon assumes a new identity and assembles a team of female superheroes.
- This issue shipped on April 4th, 2007.
- First appearance of Renée Montoya as the new Question.
- Although it appears that Batwoman dies in this issue, she actually survives Manheim's attack, and returns in Week 52.
- Although it appears that Bruno Manheim dies in this issue, he actually survives and appears in future stories.
- The ticker-tape on the bottom of the cover reads, "The Prophecy comes true... Gotham burns... Montoya answers the Question..."
Links and References
- 52: The Comic
- 52 article/interview with editor Stephen Wacker
- 52 series index at the Grand Comics Database