A-Mortal and his seven colleagues came to Earth several years ago, claiming to be the last survivors of a world that had been destroyed by geological upheaval and environmental irresponsibility. Vowing to never allow such a catastrophe to ever occur again, the Hyperclan allegedly journeyed through space seeking out planets in need of saving. In truth though, this was just a front to turn public opinion against Earth's more prominent super-heroes, specifically, the Justice League of America.
In short order however, the JLA came to realize that the Hyperclan were not benevolent creatures, but the first wave of a full-scale alien armada intent on conquering the planet.
A-Mortal and team leader Protex fought against Superman and Batman at the Hyperclan's Antartic citadel, Z'onn Z'orr. A-Mortal tore through the Batplane with his claws, sending the wreckage spiraling down into the snow where it exploded. A-Mortal believed that Batman was killed in the crash, but in truth, he used the explosion to cover his escape, enabling him to sneak inside the citadel.
By this point, Batman had learned of the Hyperclan's Martian origins and knew that they could be defeated with fire. Batman baited A-Mortal into an ambush and was able to defeat him with fire. A-Mortal was the first of the Hyperclan to fall before the Batman.
When the rest of the Hyperclan were defeated, the Martian Manhunter used his powers to wipe their minds and memories, forcing them to assume human forms. Providing them with new identities, he then sent them out to live as productive members of the human race.
Powers and Abilities
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Shape-Shifting: Martians have psionic control of their physical for down to the molecular level. This allows them to a form of shape-shifting that allows them to mimic other forms, elongate aspects of their body, increase or decrease their physical size, and so on.
- Invisibility: Martians can cause the biopolymers in their bodies to lose their ability to reflect light, making the Martians invisible to normal light and human sight.
- Phasing: Martians can go through solid matter.
- Superhuman Strength: Martians possess vast levels of superhuman strength and are among the few races that are able to match Kryptonians in terms of raw strength. Martians can easily shatter reinforced concrete and steel, lift and carry houndreds of tons with ease and deliver incredible damage with their blows.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Durability: Martians possess high levels of durability that make them nigh-invulnerable to all forms of damage. Martians can withstand high caliber bullets, powerful energy blast and kinetic impacts without suffering damage.
- Superhuman Speed: Martians can process thoughts, move, and react at incredible speed, being able to cover vast distances in little or no time, catch bullets in mid flight, run on water and create afterimages as they run.
- Regeneration: Martians have powerful regenerative powers that enable them to regenerate their entire body from a severed limb, they can furtherly enhance their regenerative powers by drawing mass from nearby sources.
- Extrasensory Input
- Super Hearing
- Heat Vision
- Martian Vision: Martian visual acuity greatly exceed human norms and allows for a wider range of information to be observed. This includes the following:
- Telepathy: Martians have the ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. 
- Astral Projection
- Mind Control: As an extension of this, Martians can also use the ability to alter a psychological profile of a target, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control that individual. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used. 
- Telepathic Relay
- Telepathic Assault
- Telekinesis: Martians have mind-over-matter abilities and can lift and move objects with their minds. They can also employ their telekinesis in offensive way by discharging telekinetic blasts capable of great concussive power.
- 5 Appearances of A-Mortal (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring A-Mortal (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about A-Mortal (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: A-Mortal (New Earth)
- JLA #1
- JLA #2
- JLA #3
- JLA #4
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #1
- Detective Comics #225
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #2
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 3) #3
- JLA #3
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #8
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #3
- DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Who's Who: Update '88 #2
- Martian Manhunter #4
- Detective Comics #226
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 3) #8
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."
|Martian Manhunter Villain(s) |