Abaddon was a powerful fallen angel who endlessly circled over Masak Mavdil, the Pit of Hell, where demons banished their own kind. He was a guardian who made sure no one escaped or entered without authority.
Abaddon had guarded the cavernous opening to Masak Mavdil for two thousand years until Etrigan, with vengeful ambition to rule Hell, came seeking his mother who had been banished by Belial when the Demon was just a boy. Abaddon was distracted by a flame decoy as Etrigan sneaked into the Pit, and with a slave on his exit. When Etrigan was prepared to launch his assault on the Satanic Triumvirate he first faced Abaddon in battle to try and gain his support, winning the Destroyer over with a bargain.
Abaddon marched with the army of Etrigan and Ran Va Daath to assault the fortress of Beelzebub and, combining their power, Abaddon and Etrigan razed it to the ground, capturing the Lord of Flies before accepting Lucifer's surrender. At Etrigan's coronation at Masak Mavdil, the new king of Hell announced his triumvirate would consist of his mother and Abaddon. Belial was enraged at the betrayal, and although Abaddon offered to fight his father for him, Etrigan showed Hell his power by consigning Belial to the Pit.
- Demonic Physiology
- Immortality: Abaddon had guarded Masak Mavdil for two thousand years.
- Superhuman Strength: Abaddon was powerful enough to be entrusted to keep any demons in or out of Masak Mavdil.
- Superhuman Durability: Abaddon could handle a brawl with Etrigan.
- Enhanced Senses: Although Etrigan referred to Abaddon as "blind" the guardian displayed no limitations at locating threats around Masak Mavdil
- Eldritch Blast
- Animal Control: Abaddon could produce swarms of pestilential stinging locust-like insects from his body.
- This character is an adaptation of Abaddon, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Abaddon was first adapted for DC Comics by E. Nelson Bridwell and Don Newton and debuted in Pre-Crisis Earth-S continuity in World's Finest #254. He first appeared in Post-Crisis New Earth continuity in The Demon (Volume 3) #2 by Alan Grant and Val Semeiks.
- 6 Appearances of Abaddon (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Abaddon (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Abaddon (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Abaddon (New Earth)
|The Demon supporting cast|
This character has been an ally or antagonist to either The Demon Etrigan or his counterpart Jason Blood in any of their various incarnations.