Abnegazar was an immortal demon.
Along with his brothers Rath and Ghast, he comprised one third of the family commonly referred to as the Demons Three. The Demons Three ruled the galaxy a billion years ago before being banished by beings known as the Timeless Ones. Through the efforts of a sorcerer named Felix Faust, the brothers came to Earth time and again, but they were almost always foiled by the super-hero team known as the Justice League. Abnegazar was linked to a mystical artifact known as the Silver Wheel of Nyorlath. Anyone in possession of the Wheel could summon and control Abnegazar.
During the rising of the Great Darkness in Hell, the Demons Three sided with the armies who welcomed the destroyer, hoping it would unmake creation, allowing them to once more become "Lords of Misrule" in a the new universe. Abnegazar foolishly provoked Doctor Fate who struck him down, before the sorcerer was absorbed by the Darkness. Abnegazar's corpse was carried away by his brothers.
- Magic: He could create a variety matter, such as their magical talismans, force bolts of destructive power, animate stending objects, and fly through time and space.
- Summoning: Demons can be summoned and controlled by people with occult knowledge. Abnegazar was more susceptible to control if they possessed the Silver Wheel of Nyorlath.
- Magic: He was susceptible to other forms of magic, dying at the hands of Doctor Fate.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 25 Appearances of Abnegazar (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Abnegazar (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Abnegazar (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Abnegazar (New Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."