The man who calls himself Achilles is actually a con artist who, through the use of a clever ruse, was able to convince the general public for a time that he was the descendant of the mythical Greek warrior Achilles
The Achilles con artist claimed the same invulnerability as his nameskae, and after gathering a gang around himself, used this as a method for committing spectacular crimes.
In order to perpetuate this ruse, Achilles the con artist wore a specially designed leaden box around one of his feet. Ostensibly, this was to protect his "Achilles heel" from harm, but in actuality, the box contained a powerful anti-magnetic generator. This generator created a powerful force-field around his entire body, allowing it to repel any object made of metal. Thus, whenever someone attempted to harm him with a knife or by shooting at him, the metallic objects would be repelled away from him...bolstering his claim to be invulnerable. Additionally, he also wore a medallion made of Kryptonite, to keep Superman away from him.
When Achilles took his crime wave to Metropolis, Superman was able to quickly see through the ruse and worked with the police to apprehend Achilles and reveal the hoax.
Lead box with electro-magnets in it to repel metals
- This version of Achilles, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Achilles (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Achilles (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Achilles (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Achilles (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."