"Micro Hopes": The Kents and the Daily Planet crew watch Perry sitting alone in his desk, thinking about what will happen to the Daily Planet now that Jimmy owns it. Perry wonders how did Jimmy become his boss and Jimmy explains that he recently discovered that he shared the same ancesto
Read beyond this point at your own risk!
Synopsis for "Micro Hopes"
The Kents and the Daily Planet crew watch Perry sitting alone in his desk, thinking about what will happen to the Daily Planet now that Jimmy owns it. Perry wonders how did Jimmy become his boss and Jimmy explains that he recently discovered that he shared the same ancestors as Lex Luthor, meaning that the Luthor family fortune was also the Olsen family fortune. This fortune would be evenly split between Jimmy and Lex and neither party would be able to tell the other what to do with their share, so Jimmy used his half of the fortune to buy the Daily Planet because the alternative would be to let it stay in the hands of the Invisible Mafia. He talked to the board of directors and the FBI about his intention to buy the Daily Planet and they agreed with it, as this would allow the Daily Planet to continue functioning while the FBI continued investigating the Invisible Mafia itself.
Jimmy gives Perry full creative control over the Daily Planet, but not before requesting his own cubicle, while the Kent family takes Conner to the Hall of Justice, where the Justice League's scientists give Conner an update about his medical condition. The Justice League scientists tells Conner that, due to his unique nature as a hybrid clone, they have no idea what will happen to him in the future. While he is expected to have a normal human lifespan, perhaps a bit longer than that, they don't know how stable his powers are. For all they know, he could lose his powers in a few decades or perhaps even next week. Conner departs from the Hall of Justice and Superman goes after him, but not before talking to Mr. Terrific about his inability to remember Conner even when others immediately remembered him. Mr. Terrific tells Superman that the universe has been rebooted over and over and over again and these reboots have caused people to forget important details about their lives and Superman should consider himself lucky that Conner is the only thing he forgot.
Superman catches up to Conner in the middle of a flight and tells him that whatever challenges might be next, they can face them together. Conner says that he doesn't have a family to go back to, but Superman doesn't believe that. The Kents take Conner to Smallville, where Jonathan and Martha accept Conner with open arms. Even Krypto is more than happy to see Conner. Superman says that Conner should stay in Smallville because he could build a life there alongside Jonathan and Martha, who could raise him the same way they raised Superman. Conner agrees to stay in Smallville while Supergirl returns to her own home, leaving Jon to spend the afternoon with his father before he returns to the Legion of Super-Heroes.
Superman and Jon spend the afternoon saving people from danger, capturing the last remnants of the Invisible Mafia, eating tacos and even teaming up with Batman and Robin for a while. They finally return to the Daily Planet, where they give some tacos to Lois and Jon says goodbye to everyone before returning to the future. Sometime later, the Daily Planet crew prepares for yet another day of work before Clark receives a call for a mission in Kahndaq, causing him to reveal his Superman uniform in front of his co-workers and fly off the window, while the Daily Planet goes off to order dinner.
Appearing in "Micro Hopes"
- Jimmy Olsen
- Justice League
- Lois Lane
- Perry White
- Superman Family
- Aquaman (In a photograph only)
- Black Adam (In a photograph only)
- Black Canary (In a photograph only)
- Green Arrow (In a photograph only)
- Hawkgirl (In a photograph only)
- Hippolyta (In a photograph only)
- Jonathan Kent
- Martha Kent
- Naomi (In a photograph only)
- Robin (Damian Wayne)
- S.T.A.R. Labs
- Steve Lombard
- Trish Q
- Ambush Bug (Mentioned only)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (Mentioned only)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Mentioned only)
- Leviathan Organization (Mentioned only)
- Lex Luthor (Mentioned only)
- Marisol Leone (Mentioned only)
- Martian Manhunter (Mentioned only)
- Metamorpho (Mentioned only)
- Parasite (Reality Undetermined) (Mentioned only)
- Titanians (Mentioned only)
- Gemworld (Mentioned only)
- Post-Rebirth (Mentioned only)
- 31st Century (Mentioned only)
- Prime Earth
- Lois' cubicle includes references to real-world people as well as future events:
- "PKJ" refers to Phillip Kennedy Johnson, chosen to write Superman comics after Bendis.
- "Signal received from Warworld" refers to Future State: Superman: Worlds of War (Volume 1).
- "JR-JR" refers to John Romita, Jr.
- Matt Fraction is thanked for the ending of Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Volume 2).
- Dedicated Superman fans running websites or blogs are thanked in a note.
- A shaded note thanks former DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio.
- An image of the new Justice League team debuting in March 2021 is shown on Lois' computer.
- "Trojan tax returns" refers to Trojan Industries, which appears in Midnighter's backup's stories in Future State.