"Superman: "Europe At War"": In Europe, Toran invades Galonia. Clark Kent and Lois Lane are sent from the Daily Star to cover the war. They cross the Atlantic in the passenger liner S.S. Baronta. Also aboard is foreign actress Lita Laverne, secretly a Toranian agent. Her mission is part of a
Appearing in Superman: "Europe At War"
- Lita Laverne (Single appearance)
- Galonian assassin
- Luthor (Behind the scenes)
- S.S. Baronta
- Toranian Submarine
- Toranian Bomber
Synopsis for Superman: "Europe At War"
In Europe, Toran invades Galonia. Clark Kent and Lois Lane are sent from the Daily Star to cover the war. They cross the Atlantic in the passenger liner S.S. Baronta. Also aboard is foreign actress Lita Laverne, secretly a Toranian agent. Her mission is part of a scheme to attack a neutral ship, blame Galonia for the war crime, and bring the democracies in on the side of Toran. Also aboard is a Galonian assassin, who tries to murder Lita, but is foiled by Clark Kent, who soon forms some suspicions about Lita's espionage activities.
In Europe, at a reception, Clark interviews Lita Laverne, and confirms his suspicions, but the party is disrupted by an air raid. Clark leaves, Superman arrives, the bomber is dealt with, and Kent gets back on Lita's trail. Soon her plot is exposed and Lita is arrested, but the war is still just getting started.
Appearing in Pep Morgan: "Volunteer Fireman"
- Mr. Morgan (Pep's dad)
- Rufus Toone
- Ezra Wright (Mentioned only)
- Joe Mack
- Mrs. Mack
- Jack Green
- fire truck
Synopsis for Pep Morgan: "Volunteer Fireman"
Pep Morgan helps the local fire department put out a fire at Joe Mack's house. Later, the investigator going over the burned-out home discovers evidence of arson! It's the latest in a string of arson cases that have been plaguing Ardale. Mr. Mack plans on selling the property to Rufus Toone, the bank director, since it's no longer any use to him. Pep asks around, and finds out that Rufus Toone and his nephew, Ezra Wright, have made offers to buy each of the homes that were mysteriously burned down, but at the time none of the owners would sell. The latest to be visited by Ezra was Jack Greene, who, like all the others, refused to sell his land. His could be the next targeted house.
A few nights later, Pep's stakeout pays off. A shadowy figure stalks nearby and begins making a fire near the Greene home. He stops when he sees Pep, and takes off running. His days as quarterback for the Ardale team haven't failed him, as Pep easily catches up to, and tackles the fleeing figure. The police rush to the scene, finding the man to be Rufus Toone himself! He is arrested and given time for Arson.
Appearing in Chuck Dawson: "Murder at the Slash-D Ranch"
- Chuck Dawson (Final appearance)
- Blacky (Chuck's horse) (Final appearance)
- Andy Parsons
- Mrs. Parsons
Synopsis for Chuck Dawson: "Murder at the Slash-D Ranch"
Chuck Dawson arrives in town just in time to see a heated exchange escalate into deadly action. A big man pulls a gun on a gentle fellow who was just trying to apologize. Chuck interrupts the fight, the gunman turns on him, and his pistol is shot out of his hand by Chuck's unerring aim. The big guy runs off, swearing Chuck hasn't seen the last of him.
A few hours later, Chuck hears a gunshot while riding down a rough mountain trail. Ahead, the form of a rider keels over. When Chuck gets closer to see if he can help, he finds the victim was the same man he defended earlier. He is alive, but hurt bad. Chuck leaves the man in the care of some local ranchers, then chases after the shooter. It's not long before he catches up to the gunman, and finds that it was none other than the brute from back in town. The two of them duke it out, but Chuck is the better fighter. He points his gun at the downed varmint and forces him to walk with him back to the sheriff's office.
Appearing in Clip Carson, Soldier of Fortune: "Beauty was the Beast"
- Gloria Anders (Dies)
- Mr. Ballard (Dies)
- Harry Anders (Dies)
- Reginald Hood
- African idol
- Cruise Liner
Synopsis for Clip Carson, Soldier of Fortune: "Beauty was the Beast"
Traveling as passenger aboard a cruise ship, Clip Carson foils a murder attempt, and becomes involved in a plot to steal a seemingly worthless African idol, which turns out to be a plot by a wealthy man's daughter to murder him and inherit his wealth.
Appearing in Tex Thomson: "The Island Demon"
- a Demon disguised as an Old Man (Dies)
- Cary James (Dies)
- Doctor Reid
- small skiff
Synopsis for Tex Thomson: "The Island Demon"
Appearing in Three Aces: "The Wedding"
- Sally Saunders (Flashback and main story)
- Perry Laverne
- Martino Fenton (Dies)
- Concho (Dies)
- Concho's Raiders
- Carlos (Dies)
- Concho's Raiders
- Matt Saunders (Flashback and main story)
- Tony M'Crea
- Aces' Planes
Synopsis for Three Aces: "The Wedding"
"Whistler" Will goes home to his foster father's ranch, where his foster sister, Sally, is getting married. A jealous ex, and a band of raiders try to interrupt the happy occasion, but Will is able to take them down, in a quick exchange of gunshots.
Appearing in Zatara: "The Mask"
- Ed Burton
Synopsis for Zatara: "The Mask"
The Tigress partners up with a man known only as the Mask, whose other partner is a plastic surgeon. The Mask has the ability to mimic anyone. He takes on the appearance of Ed Burton, the president of the Might Bank, to rob it. Luckily, Zatara catches on to their game, and uses his powers to turn the Mask into a gargoyle-headed freak, and forces the Tigress to leave the country.
- Published by Detective Comics, Inc.
- Last issue for Chuck Dawson by Homer Fleming.
- Europe at War is reprinted in Superman: The Action Comics Archives Vol. 2, Limited Collectors' Edition C-31, and Superman Chronicles Vol. 3. The title is taken from Limited Collectors' Edition C-31.
- In Earth-Two's version of the months leading up to WWII,
- the Axis Powers included: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Dukalia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Napkan, Nural, Oxnalia, Romania, Toran, Syronia,Twerpan, and others.
- the unaligned or overrun nations included: Bahdnisia, Boralia, Boravia, Denmark, Galonia, Greece, Kurtavia, Luthoria, Luxen, Nestralia, Norway, Numark, San Monte.
- After 1941-Dec, many of these countries drop from the scene.
- Lita Laverne looks exactly like Lois Lane.
- Three Aces:
- Whistler Will's origin story is told.
- Also appearing in this issue of Action Comics were:
- "Malay Head" (text story) by Frank Cooper
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 22 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 22