"Superman: "Eterno the Immortal"": The Superman Revenge Squad found a towering ancient Super-Robot named Eterno the Immortal, constructed a billion years ago by an extinct race called the Xan. It languished in the center of the Earth, paralys
- Whoa, big fella! If it's an opponent you want, meet the number one challenger!
- — Superman
Appearing in Superman: "Eterno the Immortal"
- Eterno the Immortal (Destroyed)
- Superman Revenge Squad
- Metropolis Science Institute
- Dr Hartman
- The Xan (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Metropolis Police Department
- Andromeda Galaxy
- Atomic Transmuter (Destroyed)
- Cyclo-Ray (Destroyed)
- Green Kryptonite Charges (Destroyed)
- Space Gas (Flashback only)
- Xan Sky Cities (Flashback only)
- Time Viewer (Destroyed)
- Z-Ray Radar (Destroyed)
- Metropolis P.D. Twin-Rotor Helicopter
- Superman Revenge Squad Starship (Destroyed)
Synopsis for Superman: "Eterno the Immortal"
The Superman Revenge Squad found a towering ancient Super-Robot named Eterno the Immortal, constructed a billion years ago by an extinct race called the Xan. It languished in the center of the Earth, paralysed by the rays of an element called Absorbium. The fifty-foot tall robot had super-strength, super-intelligence, and was indestructible; and the Revenge Squad believed that it had powers beyond even Superman's.
They freed Eterno with a Cyclo-Ray and unleashed their unwitting comrade from a volcano to set it against the Man of Steel. Eterno wreaked great destruction upon Metropolis as it fought Superman to a standstill. The Superman Revenge Squad flew their spacecraft too close and gloated; which resulted in Eterno discovering that it was being used.
Eterno ignored Superman, and trained Destructo-Rays on the Revenge Squad's craft. As the Robot came to smash them, they fired Absorbium rounds at it and paralysed Eterno; and its carcass fell on their starship and killed them all.
Appearing in Supergirl: "Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl's Pal"
- Colonel Colby (AKA "Big Hoax" Colby) (Single appearance)
Synopsis for Supergirl: "Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl's Pal"
This story is reprinted from Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #40.
While doing a report on Colonel Colby's Show of Wonders, Jimmy determines the show to be a series of frauds, and with his big-mouth explains that he intends on writing about it in the Daily Planet. Colby, not wanting the bad press to ruin his operation decides to try and stop Jimmy from completing his story. Returning home, Jimmy fears the worst and decides to use a tin of tear gas that was given to him by Superman for his souvenir collection as a defensive weapon. However, clumsily Jimmy manages to set off the tear gas in his apartment temporarily blinding himself. Witnessing this, Colby decides to take advantage of Jimmy's blindness to try and eliminate him, pretending to be a taxi driver taking him to the hospital. Once in the car, Colby reveals his true identity and drives to a nearby bridge to throw Jimmy to his death. Jimmy activates his Superman signal watch, however the Man of Steel is busy with a photograph device in Earth's core. Supergirl however, hears Jimmy's signal watch and decides to come to Jimmy's rescue.
Supergirl comes to Jimmy's rescue and saves him, revealing her existence to him, however Jimmy isn't quick to believe Supergirl's origins and believes that she is in league with Colby. Supergirl tries desperately to prove to the blind Jimmy that she is the genuine article. However, no matter what she does, be it chop down a tree with her bare hands, to bringing him to the arctic, the sightless cub reporter can imagine up ways how Colby could hoax these abilities to a blind person. As a final ditch effort, she fashions a pair of scissors and asks him to try and cut her hair. However, her x-ray vision picks up trouble at a nearby rodeo, and she is forced to toss the scissors in order to save a cowboy from injury at the hands of a rampaging bull.
Giving up, Supergirl notices that Superman is on his way back from his mission at the center of the Earth, and sets off Jimmy's signal watch again before departing. When Superman arrives, Jimmy tells him about Colby's hoaxes and his attempt on Jimmy's life. Superman then quickly smashes Colby's operation and reveals him to be "Big Con" Colby, a wanted con-artist. Later, Jimmy still believing that Supergirl was another one of Colby's hoaxes, laughs about how preposterous the "hoax" was, insuring that for now, Supergirl's identity remains a secret on Earth.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 343 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 343
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)