"The Self-Destruct Superman": Superman is endangered when the SEM, a weapon designed to eliminate him if he ever turns evil, is accidentally activated--and he has no idea of how to stop it.
Appearing in "The Self-Destruct Superman"
Synopsis for "The Self-Destruct Superman"
Superman is endangered when the SEM, a weapon designed to eliminate him if he ever turns evil, is accidentally activated--and he has no idea of how to stop it.
Appearing in "The Tyrant and the Traitor"
Synopsis for "The Tyrant and the Traitor"
President Peralla of the planet Lahum, who commands an army of virtually indestructible androids, has conquered his world and plans to do the same to other planets, while Diol Masrin, who has led his people in revolt against Peralla, is secretly allied with the Dark Circle empire. Unable to intervene officially, the United Planets requests the aid of Chameleon Boy and the Legion Espionage Squad. Chameleon Boy selects Brainiac 5, Timber Wolf, Element Lad, Saturn Girl, and Karate Kid to accompany him on this mission. Some time later, the Legionnaires capture a ship carrying contraband weapons to Lahum, weapons supposedly effective against the androids but actually obselete. Impersonating the ship's crew, the Legionnaires rendezvous with Chavak, Masrin's lieutenant. They capture him, and Chameleon Boy takes his place, while the other male Legionnaires pose as new recruits. The disguised Legionnaires, accompanying the rebels on a march to their base camp, are ambushed by the humanoids. When blasted, the chemical beings burst into pieces, each of which then grows into a new humanoid. The rebels manage to escape and reach their camp, where they meet Masrin and the disguised Chameleon Boy encounters the real Chavak's girlfriend, Yroa. Saturn Girl, meanwhile, reaches Hueuas, Lahum's capital city, and schemes to infiltrate the Presidential Palace by applying to become the assistant of Wanpar, Chief of Scientific Development, unaware that a woman on his staff recognizes her as Imra Ardeen.
- This issue has "Mistakes in "Puzzle of the Wild World"" which lists ll the "errors" in that Action Comics #388 story.
- The Tyrant and the Traitor is reprinted in Legion of Super-Heroes Archives Vol. 9.
- It is revealed that the SEM had no working weapons but was used because Superman had a great fear of the machine.
- The SEM was actually designed by Jor-El as the NX-weapon which when it tried to kill his son he deactivated all its weapons.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 390 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
This page is missing characters!
This page is missing one or more character, location or item appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue, episode, movie, game or book but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the template.