""Up, Up, and Away! (Part II of VIII) - Mild-Mannered Reporter"": Lex Luthor is inside of an underground laboratory working on his latest project. He listens to a radio broadcast concerning the Lexcorp board members ousting him as CEO. Suddenly Superman appears to smash th
- Keep talking, Smallville. I love it when you crusade.
Appearing in "Up, Up, and Away! (Part II of VIII) - Mild-Mannered Reporter"
- Green Lantern Ring
- Green Kryptonite
- Lex Luthor's Warsuit (6 sets)
- Nth Metal Wings
- Superboy Memorial Statue
- Superman Memorial Statue
- Superman Robot
Synopsis for "Up, Up, and Away! (Part II of VIII) - Mild-Mannered Reporter"
Lex Luthor is inside of an underground laboratory working on his latest project. He listens to a radio broadcast concerning the Lexcorp board members ousting him as CEO. Suddenly Superman appears to smash through the side wall of his lab, but it is merely the Toyman – piloting a manned Superman robot. Luthor has been expecting him, but is unimpressed with his showy theatrics. He shows him the Sunstone crystal and tells him that they work to do.
At Sullivan place, Clark Kent is still getting used to no longer having powers. He nurses the injuries he suffered from Luthor's physical assault and is concerned that he may have even cracked a tooth. The two go up to the roof of the building and enjoy a cup of tea.
Later, Clark goes to Metro Square and enters a subway station. He is speaking to someone over a cell phone and tells them that he is going to investigate some of Luthor's old underground bolt holes to see if there is any connection between him and the recent Intergang activity. As he continues farther underground, he loses his cell phone signal.
Clark eventually comes upon several Intergang wannabes wearing old Lexcorp battle suits. They discover him and open fire, chasing Clark back down the tunnels. Finally, the people that Clark had been speaking on the phone with make their presence known – Green Lantern and Hawkgirl.
GL and Kendra mop up the floor with the six thugs and Clark lends as hand as well. After the fight is over, they fly him back to Sullivan Place. Clark asks Hal if he intends on re-starting the defunct Justice League, but Hal has other affairs on his mind. He wants Clark to get back into "the game" and offers him an S-shaped Green Lantern ring.
Meanwhile, Lex Luthor goes to the Superman memorial statue in Centennial Park. He meets with Metallo who is now outfitted with a clone body to cage his Kryptonite heart. The two enter into a new partnership.
- This issue received a second printing on May 17th, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Up, Up, and Away trade paperback.
- Superman appears as Clark Kent only in this issue. He lost his powers in Infinite Crisis #7.
- This issue is a One Year Later tie-in.
- This issue makes several references to Intergang, the Prankster and the Toyman (Hiro Okamura).
- The Toyman as seen in this issue is reminiscent of the Toyman character featured in the Superman animated series.
- Luthor's meeting with Metallo foreshadows the formation of the new Superman Revenge Squad. The Squad is officially established in Action Comics #851.
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 837 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 837
Links and References
|Up, Up, and Away!|
|Part I: Superman #650||Part II: Action Comics #837||Part III: Superman #651||Part IV: Action Comics #838|
|Part V: Superman #652||Part VI: Action Comics #839||Part VII: Superman #653||Part VIII: Action Comics #840|