"Up, Up, and Away!, Part IV of VIII: Powers and Abilities": Clark has a dream of when he first returned to Earth after losing his powers. Mister Terrific, Doctor Light and the Ray all took readings of him, but could not understand why his Kryptonian physiology was rejecting solar radiation. As h
Action Comics #838 is an issue of the series Action Comics (Volume 1) with a cover date of June, 2006. It was published on May 3, 2006.
Synopsis for "Up, Up, and Away!, Part IV of VIII: Powers and Abilities"
Clark has a dream of when he first returned to Earth after losing his powers. Mister Terrific, Doctor Light and the Ray all took readings of him, but could not understand why his Kryptonian physiology was rejecting solar radiation. As he awakens, he turns towards Lois who is still asleep.
Later, Clark hits the streets and continues working on an exposé that will hopefully bring Intergang's most recent illegal activities out into the open. With photographer Jimmy Olsen at his side, Clark corners Councilman Jeffries accepting graft from several Intergang mobsters.
The following day, Lex Luthor and the Toyman harness the Kryptonite Man to a large device known as a K-Cannon. They use the radiation from the K-Man's body, and funnel it through the Sunstone to power the device. Lex wants to use it to awaken an ancient Kryptonian warship that crash-landed in Texas in 1938. With it, he intends on destroying Metropolis.
Meanwhile, Clark and Lois are attending a monster truck rally at the Shuster Sports Arena. Clark is completely bored, and Lois finally encourages him to leave. As he is walking down the street, the villains known as Neutron and Radion attack him. They openly reveal that they work for Intergang, and have targeted Clark for exposing the corrupt councilman.
The two radiation villains unleash a barrage of energy blasts at Clark, but the mild-mannered reporter dives out of the way. He races down a subway tunnel hoping to draw their fire away from densely populated areas. Neutron edges Clark out onto the subway tracks into the path of an oncoming train. The subway car slams into him, knocking him back several yards.
Neutron and Radion, satisfied that Kent is dead, turn and leave. If they had stayed a few moments more however, they would have noticed a hand-shaped dent on the front of the subway train. Clark Kent awakens in a state of shock. His powers are beginning to return.
Appearing in "Up, Up, and Away!, Part IV of VIII: Powers and Abilities"
- Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) (In dream sequence only)
- Jimmy Olsen
- Lois Lane
- Mister Terrific (Michael Holt) (In dream sequence only)
- Ray (Ray Terrill) (In dream sequence only)
- Councilman Jeffries
- New York
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Up, Up, and Away trade paperback.
- This issue is a One Year Later tie-in.
- Lois Lane makes reference to her late father, Sam Lane, who heroically gave his life during the "Our Worlds at War" event.
- Lex Luthor had the Flea Circus break the Kryptonite Man out of Stryker's Island Penitentiary in Superman #651.
- The Shuster Arena is an homage to Superman co-creator Joe Shuster.
- Radion first appeared in Superman #308.
- At one point, Clark says, "D'oh, Jimmy!" This form of onomatapoeia is more famously attributed to the character of Homer Simpson from the Matt Groening animated series, The Simpsons.
Links and References
|Up, Up, and Away!|
|Part I: Superman #650||Part II: Action Comics #837||Part III: Superman #651||Part IV: Action Comics #838|
|Part V: Superman #652||Part VI: Action Comics #839||Part VII: Superman #653||Part VIII: Action Comics #840|
The events from this issue take place one year after the events of the 2006 limited series Infinite Crisis. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: 1 Year Later Crossover.