"Up, Up, and Away!, Part VIII of VIII: The Adventures of Superman": Superman and Lex Luthor descend from the sky and land on the shore of St. Martin's Island. The sudden exposure to Kryptonite has temporarily robbed Superman of his super-strength, and the two combatants ar
- I'll always be there. Always. It's not the powers. Not the cape. It's about standing up for justice. For truth. As long as people like you are out there, I'll be there. Always.
- — Superman
Appearing in "Up, Up, and Away!, Part VIII of VIII: The Adventures of Superman"
- Lex Luthor
- Doctor Virus (Single appearance)
- Fortress of Solitude
Synopsis for "Up, Up, and Away!, Part VIII of VIII: The Adventures of Superman"
Superman and Lex Luthor descend from the sky and land on the shore of St. Martin's Island. The sudden exposure to Kryptonite has temporarily robbed Superman of his super-strength, and the two combatants are now on a level playing field. Luthor smashes Superman across the jaw with a punch and Superman returns the favor in kind. Fortunately for Luthor, his protective force field, though damaged, is still operational. Superman manages to get the upper hand however and knocks Luthor unconscious, before passing out himself.
When he comes to, emergency staff are ready to take him to Ellsworth Memorial Hospital, but Superman declines. He asks about Luthor, and they tell him that the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit have taken him to Stryker's Island.
Superman flies back to Sullivan Place as crowds of people cheer him on from the streets for saving their lives. He touches base with Lois, and then prepares to resume his life as Clark Kent.
At the Daily Planet, Clark gets a package from the Kents- a typewriter, as his powers are playing havoc with his computer. Perry White criticizes Clark for his persistent absenteeism. Lois defends him, saying that this is the first instance where Clark has failed to show up for work in over a year. Lois' barking manages to keep Perry down, and he grumbles back to his office.
Later, Superman flies out to Hob's Bay to assist with reconstruction. He meets up near Jimmy Olsen's apartment building and gives him his signal watch back. Jimmy's arm is in a sling from injuries sustained during the recent attack, but he is always happy to risk his life for his "pal". He gives him a surviving piece of Sunstone crystal.
Shortly thereafter, Superman faces off with an Intergang member wannabe named Doctor Virus. Virus unleashes Kryptococcus, the Omni-Germ at him, but Superman quickly disables the entity and apprehends Doctor Virus.
After stopping to sign some autographs, Superman flies off towards the polar ice caps with the Sunstone. He hurls into the middle of the tundra and watches as the crystal replicates, growing into a massive geometrically shaped citadel. Superman decides to use this edifice as his new Fortress of Solitude.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Up, Up, and Away! trade paperback.
- This issue is part of the One Year Later event, which follows the Infinite Crisis limited series, and the 52 maxi-series.
- Mahjoub the pretzel vendor appeared last in Superman (Volume 1) #650. In this issue, Superman accepts a free pretzel from him before flying off towards the North Pole. Ironically, Superman's last interaction with Mahjoub was as Clark Kent.
- This is the first and only known appearance of Kryptococcus, the Omni-Germ.
- Bratten, the Daily Planet reporter, appeared last in Action Comics #839.
- St. Martin's Island is not referenced by name in this issue, but it can be correctly identified by its relative positioning to the island of New Troy.
- It is mentioned in this issue that although Lex Luthor is taken to Stryker's Island Penitentiary, he escapes only a few hours later with the help of some flying robots.
- Superman's new Fortress of Solitude is reminiscent of the crystalline fortress as seen in the 1978 Richard Donner film, Superman: The Movie.
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 840 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 840
Links and References
|Up, Up, and Away!|
|Part I: Superman #650||Part II: Action Comics #837||Part III: Superman #651||Part IV: Action Comics #838|
|Part V: Superman #652||Part VI: Action Comics #839||Part VII: Superman #653||Part VIII: Action Comics #840|