"Revenge, Part 1": Hank Henshaw is putting together a new Superman Revenge Squad. So far he's recruited Metallo, Blanque and the Eradicator. Per his orders, the Eradicator searches Mongul. He finds the alien warlord trapped by the Black Mercy in a dream where he butchers Superman.
- I've yearned for this moment, you see. When both halves of the stone would be mine--primed for reunification. So it can grant me what I desire most. To be rid of this frail human shell. Return to what I was. Powerful. Invincible. Glorious.
Appearing in "Revenge, Part 1"
- Dratania (Dies)
- Kelex (Appears only as a corpse)
- Klon (Dies)
- Jor-El (Statue)
- Batman (Mentioned only)
- General Zod (Mentioned only)
- Jon Kent (Mentioned only)
- Prime Earth
Synopsis for "Revenge, Part 1"
Hank Henshaw is putting together a new Superman Revenge Squad. So far he's recruited Metallo, Blanque and the Eradicator. Per his orders, the Eradicator searches Mongul. He finds the alien warlord trapped by the Black Mercy in a dream where he butchers Superman.
In Metropolis, Clark and Lois are apartment hunting. The Kent Family is moving back to the city.
Meanwhile, Eradicator and Blanque take Mongul to Superman's Himalayan Fortress in order to search for the Oblivion Stone, a gem that has the ability to alter any aspect of its possessor's life once (provided its twin pieces are combined). They find one half of the stone. They're supposed to bring it to their leader, but Mongul covets the Stone. Their argument is cut short when Klon and Dratania, two aliens staying at Superman's Fortress due to be stranded on Earth, come along to stop them.
Back on Metropolis, Clark hears his Himalayan refugee's intruder alarm. He hurries off, changes clothes and takes off for his backup Fortress. When he arrives, he finds his shelter leveled, his two alien guests murdered and the Oblivion Stone stolen. His Kelex android lays in pieces but it manages to warn him about Blanque, Eradicator and Mongul working together before turning off. Superman takes seconds to mourn his friends and blame himself for his failure to protect them, and swears his enemies will answer for their actions.
The three villains have teleported to Henshaw's headquarters, a Batman's Moon base he's taken over. Mongul doesn't recognize Henshaw -much to the latter's amusement- and wants to tear him in half. But Henshaw unites the two halves of the Oblivion Stone and turns himself back into Cyborg Superman. He beats down Mongul easily and demands the alien despot kisses his hand and swears servitude again. Disgusted but cowed, Mongul obliges him.
Cyborg Superman declares his Squad is nearly complete, but they need another member to ensure their victory: Zod.
- Thanks to the merger of New Earth and Prime Earth histories into a new history, the Eradicator now remembers New Earth events.
- Kent comments about how his "first home was about 27 light years away" given a rough idea how far Krypton was from Earth. It is is unknown if that was true of the original Prime Earth Krypton.
- Mongul was enslaved by the Black Mercy in the first arc of Trinity
- Cyborg Superman and Mongul met in Reign of the Supermen. Mongul was forced to kiss Henshaw's hand in Superman (Volume 2) #80
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 979 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 979
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)