Adam Strange is an Earthling who became a hero on the planet Rann.
While fleeing for his life from South American savages, young archaeologist Adam Strange found himself struck by the Zeta-Beam, a beam of energy sent from the planet Rann in hopes of communicating with the people of Earth. But its journey through space altered the transmission beam and it somehow teleported Strange to Rann, 4.5 light-years from Earth.
There, Earth's first interstellar spaceman met the lovely Alanna and her scientist-father, Sardath, who soon taught Strange both the language and the ways of their strange, alien world. Rann is a planet of contradictions. Some of its divided city-states possess science far in advance of Earth, while other exist in almost barbaric splendor. Here, where no Earthman had ever walked before, Adam Strange became Rann's first citizen and savior, for his quick, keen mind saved his adopted world time after time from alien invasion, internal warfare and natural disaster.
Adam quickly fell in love with young Alanna and ultimately married her. But despite Adam's love for his wife and her world, he cannot remain on Rann for long, for the zeta-beam energy, set at different pulses, eventually wears off, and when it does, Strange is returned to his home planet. Adam must then calculate where the next zeta-beam will strike -only below the Equator-and intercept it before it's gone.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Tactical Analysis: Adam Strange possesses no special powers, but his quick, analytical mind.
- Adam Strange was created by Julius Schwartz, who named the character after the first man on Earth according to the Abrahamic faiths, since Adam Strange was the first Earthman on another planet and the surname "Strange" was taken from Schwartz's previously edited science-fiction comic Strange Adventures (Volume 1). The character design was first created by Murphy Anderson and the design was first used by Gil Kane and Mike Sekowsky on Strange's first appearance in Showcase #17.
- This version of Adam Strange, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 163 Appearances of Adam Strange (Earth-One)
- 12 Images featuring Adam Strange (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Adam Strange (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Adam Strange (Earth-One)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.