- Adrian Chase is dead. I am... the Vigilante!
- — Adrian Chase src
Adrian Chase was a district attorney and later judge in New York City. After his wife and children were murdered my the mob, he became the Vigilante, to punish those who the justice system couldn't.
As an indefatigable Manhattan District Attorney, Adrian Chase worked doggedly within the system to dismantle the city's Mafia infrastructure. He even frequently worked with the city's resident superhero team, the New Teen Titans. But when Chase's wife Doris, son Adam, and daughter Drew were killed by a bomb planted by the Scarapelli mob family, Chase sought his own justice as the Vigilante. He underwent an extremely vigorous training program taught by a number of mystical spirits seeking revenge, and came back to the city perfectly synchronized between mind and body. As the Vigilante, he dispensed justice harshly, and although he inspired many heroes to attempt to make tougher choices, his career was also riddled with many defeats. Guilt-ridden over his abandonment of the rule of Law, Chase attempted to cease his Vigilante activities on several occasions, but ultimately took his own life.
- Firearms: The Vigilante was an expert marksman.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): A skilled hand-to-hand combatant. He was also practiced in several Eastern meditation techniques and fighting forms. These techniques gifted Chase with an enhanced endurance that also allowed him to overcome pain.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- The Vigilante appeared in seven issues of New Teen Titans (Volume 1) as Adrian Chase before donning the masked identity of the Vigilante in New Teen Titans Annual #2.
- For most of his career, Adrian Chase's dual identity was a secret from the outside world, until he was unmasked in front of a news crew shortly following the death of New York City police officer Wally Jackson.
- Chase left his considerable fortune to his former partner in crime-fighting, Black Thorn.
- After his death, Adrian Chase was later seen during the events of Day of Judgment as one of the morally ambiguous deceased heroes trapped in purgatory. He helped the Sentinels of Magic and the JLA escape with Hal Jordan, whom they needed to use as a new host for the rampaging Spectre. For his actions in posthumously helping save the world, he gained an appeal to Heaven along with the rest of the heroes.
- Adrian Chase was born on September 15th, 1951. He died on October 6th, 1987.
- 84 Appearances of Adrian Chase (New Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Adrian Chase (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Adrian Chase (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Adrian Chase (New Earth)