"Batman Meets Jerry": Witch Kraft's aunt is sick, so she goes to stay with her for a week or two.
Adventures of Jerry Lewis #97 is an issue of the series Adventures of Jerry Lewis (Volume 1) with a cover date of November, 1966. It was published on September 20, 1966.
Synopsis for "Batman Meets Jerry"
Witch Kraft's aunt is sick, so she goes to stay with her for a week or two.
Renfrew watches the Batman TV show and decides that he and Jerry should be crime fighters. He puts together costumes and they become Ratman and Rotten, the Boy Blunder! Whilst practicing roof racing, a neighbor calls the police and they are taken to police headquarters, but as they are just another pair of nuts trying to imitate Batman and Robin, the police turn them loose.
Back home, the costumed criminal the Kangaroo mistakes their house for the Whirbly mansion, hops down the chimney, finds they don't have one, crashes into Renfrew's room, assumes Renfrew is the Whirbly kid and nabs him instead of the family jewels. When Ratman/Jerry tries to stop him, he knocks himself out with a Rat-arang and wakes up tied and gagged.
Jerry is rescued by Batman and Robin, who have already helped Catman and Kitten (who got hung up in a tree), Fatman and Tubbin (who tried to enter the Lincoln tunnel simultaneously and got stuck), Flatman and Ribbon - the Taped Crusaders - (who nearly hung themselves) and Sadman and Sobbin' - the Crying Crime-fighters - (who almost drowned in their own tears). After solving a clue (Jerry heard the Kangaroo say "Now back to my hideout at 37 Ranger Street") the three take the Batmobile to Kangaroo's Hideout at 37 Ranger Street.
Renfrew has convinced the Kangaroo and his son Gregory that they should steal things that are easy to sell. As the trio arrive, the villains leave to kidnap movie star Tuesday Moore. They are interrupted, but escape in their Kangerooplane, leaving a series of clues which lead to Batman-land.
Meanwhile, the American Society of Costumed Villains meeting (being held in Batman's head at Batman-land) criticizes the Kangaroo for muffing 12 jobs in his first 24 hours. They all don kangaroo costumes (to frame the Kangaroo) and then attack Batman and Robin when they arrive. The real Kangaroo arrives with Tuesday Moore, just as the Joker is about to kill Jerry. He is saved when all of the fake kangaroos are magically attracted to mementos of old cases, as the Kangaroo is revealed to be Witch Kraft (and Gregory is Kraft's niece Zanyia), who did it all to teach Jerry that he couldn't get along without her.
Appearing in "Batman Meets Jerry"
- Robin (First appearance)
- Witch Kraft (First appearance as the Kangaroo)
- Zanyia (First appearance as Gregory)
- American Society of Costumed Villains
- Mister Freeze (Behind the scenes)
- Many unnamed members
- New villains inspired by the Batman TV show (Mentioned only)
- Bre'r Rabbit
- Unnamed Santa Claus-themed villain
- Tuesday Moore (movie star)
- Jerry's neighbor
- Her husband Herman (Behind the scenes)
- New hero duos inspired by the Batman TV show (Mentioned only)
- Catman and Kitten
- Fatman and Tubbin
- Flatman and Ribbon
- Sadman and Sobbin'
- Witch Kraft's aunt (Mentioned only)
- King Kong (Mentioned only)
- Julie Newmar (Mentioned only)
- Adam West (Mentioned only)
- The Whirbly family (Mentioned only)
- James Abbott McNeill Whistler and his parents (Mentioned only)
- Police Headquarters
- Snobbish Arms Hotel
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Compendium states this is an appearance of Earth-Twelve, and therefore the Batman who appears in this issue is the Batman of Earth-Twelve.
- This is the second time that Jerry has met Batman. The first was on TV Show Batman, in the episode The Bookworm Turns, where the Dynamic Duo was climbing a building via Batrope, when Jerry opens the window and talks to them.
- Jerry knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne. This may be because at this point of time his adventures are shown on TV, but no one else in the story seems to know. It also may be because Jerry sometimes is aware he's in a comic book.
- Cover gallery for the Adventures of Jerry Lewis series
- Images from Adventures of Jerry Lewis Vol 1 97