"Borba Za Zhivuchest": In the Barents Sea, an Oscar-II class submarine experiences a technical difficulty which causes it to sink, ever faster and faster, into the depths of the ocean.
Appearing in "Borba Za Zhivuchest"
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Captain Gussev (Flashback and main story) (Dies)
- Lt. Dmitry (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Borba Za Zhivuchest"
In the Barents Sea, an Oscar-II class submarine experiences a technical difficulty which causes it to sink, ever faster and faster, into the depths of the ocean.
Above, floating on the water, the Russian crews of aircraft carriers debate how to save the men, or whether to. But the arrival of Superman renders the point moot, raising the ship back to the surface.
Flashing to the present setting, in Avino, Russia, the captain of the vessel, Gussev, explains that his farm was never a part of the communist agenda. He also explains that as his wife has died, and his family, all interred on the farm, it is his turn to die as well. He experienced radiation on the ship, but the radiation didn't give him the cancer, a point he waxes upon as ironic. He laments that he will not see the harvest.
Superman grabs a number of tractors, promising Gussev that he will see the harvest. He harvests the field, and Gussev, tired, leads Superman inside. Superman confesses that he too grew up on a farm, and they agree that farmers don't see the world as divided, but rather united. Gussev dies. Superman buries him and flies off.
- This book was first published on December 12, 2001.
- This issue's title, "Borba Za Zhivuchest," translates from Russian to "Damage Control"
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Adventures of Superman Vol 1 599 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Adventures of Superman series
- Images from Adventures of Superman Vol 1 599