"Only Child": At the Daily Planet, Clark is working on a new human-interest story. Lois asks about his new story and Clark explains the story is about two brothers who did not know about each other's existence until recently. In that moment, a flaming meteor falls towards Metropolis, hitting
Appearing in "Only Child"
- Vendai (Flashback and main story)
- Perry White (Cameo)
- Steve Lombard (Cameo)
- Ron Troupe (Cameo)
- Bibbo Bibbowski
- Jor-El (Flashback only)
- Lara Lor-Van (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Only Child"
At the Daily Planet, Clark is working on a new human-interest story. Lois asks about his new story and Clark explains the story is about two brothers who did not know about each other's existence until recently. In that moment, a flaming meteor falls towards Metropolis, hitting the bay. Superman goes to investigate, saving a sailor and his dog and delivering them to the local Coast Guard. The meteor is in fact a giant robot that rises out of the ocean and attacks Superman. During the battle, Superman sees the symbol of the House on El embedded on the robot's head and the robot says he was created by Jor-El of Krypton.
As Lois makes her way to the harbor, Superman incapacitates the robot, who chooses to talk instead continuing the fight. The robot explains Superman has freed him from his masters' control. Since Jor-El knew of Krypton's imminent destruction he secretly built the robot as a deep-space probe to search out other inhabitable planets. The robot looked far and wide across space to find a new home for the Kryptonians. However, an alien race called the Vendai found him first. The Vendai took over the machine and used him to find new worlds to conquer.
Superman, ever the optimist, is excited to see that a part of Krypton still survives and considers the robot to be almost his brother. As soon as Lois and Jimmy arrive to the harbor, Superman explains the robot's history to her, but unfortunately, the Vendai arrive at Earth. Superman is quick in disarming their ships but the Vendai keep him at bay with their heavy weapons. Fortunately, the robot arrives to assist Superman, and together they defeat the Vendai ships. The Vendai are forced to retreat but not before activating the self-destruct mechanism they had installed in the robot, who dies right before Superman's eyes. Once again, Superman is the Last Son of Krypton.
Later, Clark delivers the Daily Planet story to the brothers his human-interest was about. The brothers, enjoying their newfound friendship, thank Clark for delivering the paper, and as Clark walks away, they ask him if he has any siblings. He answers that he is an only child.
Superman has placed his fallen brother on the Fortress of Solitude, next to the statues of his parents.
- This book was first published on July 30, 2014.
- No special notes.
- The robot and the premise of this story is based on the 1999 animated film The Iron Giant, which also discuss and made numerous references about Superman.
- The cast of characters that appear on the cover are: Dr. Jenet Klyburn, Lois Lane, Jim Corrigan, Cat Grant, Perry White, Gabby of the Newsboy Legion, Jimmy Olsen, Steve Lombard, Keith White, Professor Pepperwinkle, Ron Troupe, Bibbo Bibbowski, and Myra Allen.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Adventures of Superman Vol 2 15 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Adventures of Superman series
- Images from Adventures of Superman Vol 2 15