Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Aella was an Amazon leader, considered to be the greatest of the Amazon warriors in life.
Her name means whirlwind, and she lived up to that name on the battlefield. She led the Amazons in a great battle against Hercules long ago, and they all fell (her allies, her sisters, her friends, her loves) but her. Aella lived a good life, but she was still filled with regret. After her death, when Diana was already born and a little girl, Aella's statue was added to those of her fallen companions in the Garden of Heroes because of who she was in war. Diana's mother, Hippolyta, explained to her that, during the war with Hercules, Aella's faith wavered, praying that the war would just end. The reality of war scared her, and she believed that she lived because she didn't push as hard as her sisters. She would rather have given everything and died there — then her death would have had meaning.
Powers and Abilities
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. Aella possesses the same potential powers as an average Amazon. These include:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as Aella stays on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Aella was created by Greg Potter and George Pérez, first appearing in Wonder Woman (Volume 2) #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Aella first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Dark Nights: Death Metal The Last 52: War of the Multiverses #1 by Joshua Williamson, Scott Snyder, and Dexter Soy.
- This character is an adaptation of Aella, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Another Amazon named Aella was active during Diana's adulthood in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #37, part of the New 52. However, this era of Wonder Woman's history was heavily retconned by the Wonder Woman: Rebirth storyline The Lies, which stated that most of Wonder Woman's adventures had been an elaborate illusion by the Gods of Olympus to keep her from returning to Paradise Island, calling the original Aella's existence into question.
- 1 Appearances of Aella (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Aella (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Aella (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Aella (Prime Earth)