Ak-Var is one of the few criminals released from the Phantom Zone who reformed and did not return to crime. He and three accomplices attempted to steal a Sun-Stone from a museum on Krypton as a prank. His accomplices fled, leaving him to take the blame. Ak-Var was sentenced to a harsh 30-year term in the Phantom Zone. Superman released him on Earth after his sentence was up but he agreed to return to his native Kandor . His three accomplices, now 30 years older, while Ak-Var had not aged while in the Phantom Zone, accidentally received superpowers due to Ak-Var's recent exposure to Red Kryptonite. They attempted to frame Ak-Var for crimes they committed but were defeated with the assistance of Superman. Ak-Var became the research assistant of Superman's lookalike cousin Van-Zee and eventually married Van's niece Thara. Despite his criminal past, he became a well-respected enough young scientist that he only narrowly lost an election for a seat on the Kandorian Science Council. Van-Zee and Ak-Var teamed up to fight crime in Kandor as the costumed super-heroes Nightwing and Flamebird, replacing the original duo of Superman and Jimmy Olsen. It is unknown if Van-Zee and Ak-Var continued their crime-fighting activities after Kandor was enlarged on the planet of Rokyn.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Ak-Var possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Ak-Var's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Ak-Var can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Ak-Var's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Ak-Var's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Ak-Var can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Ak-Vars can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Ak-Var can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Ak-Var is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Ak-Var is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Ak-Var is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Ak-Var's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Ak-Var is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Ak-Var is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Ak-Var can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Ak-Var possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Ak-Var, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Ak-Var's adventures as Flamebird are reprinted in Superman: The Adventures of Nightwing and Flamebird
- 20 Appearances of Ak-Var (Earth-One)
- 5 Images featuring Ak-Var (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Ak-Var (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Ak-Var (Earth-One)
Superman Family member