Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
She was one of Artemis' greatest loves, according to Wonder Woman, and they were best friends. When they were young, they trained hard to become Shim'Tar, the champion of the Amazons of Bana-Mighdall. Akila said she didn't want to become the Shim'Tar, but one day she disappeared without a word. Artemis sought her for weeks until she returned from another plane, and Artemis knew that Akila had been summoned by the Gods of Bana-Mighdall. Akila had become the Shim'Tar.
Without Akila by her side, Artemis no longer felt Bana-Mighdall as her home, and she found peace in the solitude of the desert, until the night the hostile nation of Qurac managed to pierce the enchanted sandstorm around the Amazon city. In the midst of the horror of the war, Akila used the Bow of Ra to save her sisters, causing her to kill almost all the invaders, when Wonder Woman came to stop that fight. Akila was consumed by the power of the bow; she died in Artemis's arms and the Bow of Ra was lost in the conflict.
Powers and Abilities
- Divine Empowerment
- Energy Absorption: While corrupted by the Bow of Ra, Akila could directly tap into the energies of the holy relic's energies. To the point of even separated she could still imbibe and project it's awesome power independently.
- Power Distribution: Her empowerment by the bow made her physically indomitable, able to knock over a kryptonian clone with one punch when her fellow Amazon; Artemis, couldn't even halt his advance.
- Eldritch Blast: Having spent so long in contact with the Bow enabled the former Shim'Tar to project solar energy from her hands at will.
- Thermal-Blast: In her death throes due to having absorbed too much of the bow's power, Akila had detonated with the force of a nova.
- Akila was created by Doselle Young and Brian Denham, first appearing in Wonder Woman Annual (Volume 2) #8. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Akila first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Red Hood and the Outlaws (Volume 2) #8 by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort.
- 5 Appearances of Akila of Bana-Mighdall (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Akila of Bana-Mighdall (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Akila of Bana-Mighdall (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Akila of Bana-Mighdall (Prime Earth)