Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Originally a gifted chemist and colleague of Barry Allen, Albert Desmond turned to a life of crime after discovering the Philosopher's Stone, an ancient artifact that gave him the power to chemically transmute the elements. Under the moniker of Doctor Alchemy, Desmond battled the Flash and terrorized Central City as a member of the Rogues. The Flash defeated Alchemy several times over the years, usually by taking the Stone from him.
Desmond was one of many villains to join the Secret Society of Super-Villains during the Crime Syndicate's invasion and subsequent rule of Earth. After the Syndicate was defeated by the Justice League, the Society's power weakened. Alchemy met with several other Society members in a building where they plotted to defeat the League, although as they discussed their plans the team themselves arrived and arrested them. Sometime later, Desmond was arrested by Superman alongside Murmur.
Powers and Abilities
- Chemistry: Desmond was a brilliant chemist who used his knowledge of the elements to more effectively make use of the Philosopher's Stone.
- Doctor Alchemy was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in Showcase #13. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Doctor Alchemy first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League (Volume 2) #30 by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reiss, and Doug Mahnke.
- 8 Appearances of Albert Desmond (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Albert Desmond (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Albert Desmond (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Albert Desmond (Prime Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member