Albert Hollerer was a German airplane pilot who fought in World War II and was shot down over a bog in 1942. In the wake of his death in which he was burned alive, he became the Swamp Thing of that era. After wandering the world for more than a decade, he found his way to the Parliament of Trees in 1954 in the Amazon Rainforest and rooted himself in the Earth. Hollerer brought a small toy plane with him as the only reminder of his past life, which was observed decades later by the next Swamp Thing, Alec Holland.
- Albert Hollerer's origins is loosely based on the Heap, a Golden Age monster with strong similarities to both the Swamp Thing and Marvel's Man-Thing. The Heap was formerly Baron Eric von Emmelman, a World War One flying ace, and his first appearance was in Hillman's Air Fighters Comics #3 (1942).
- 4 Appearances of Albert Hollerer (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Albert Hollerer (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Albert Hollerer (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Albert Hollerer (New Earth)