Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Al Rothstein, also known as Atom-Smasher, is a member of the Justice Society of America.
Atom Smasher was supposed to exist on Prime Earth but his existence was erased after Doctor Manhattan prevented Alan Scott from becoming the Green Lantern and, as a consequence, his death prevented the creation of the Justice Society of America.
Later, Doctor Manhattan undid his actions and allowed Alan Scott to become once again the Green Lantern and form the Justice Society. Atom Smasher was brought back to life and was part of the Justice Society, along with the other heroes, helped Superman defeat the metahumans who were ravaging Washington, D.C..
Powers and Abilities
- Atomic Dispersal: As a result of exposure to uncontrolled Thorium radiation, the Atom Smasher's mass has become unstable. Al can increase his size, allowing him to grow up to 28 feet tall. At this height, Al is resistant to all attacks from normal sized people. With atomic dispersal, Al increases the distance between his own atoms, thus increasing his overall size. Under normal circumstances, his mass would remain the same no matter how large he becomes. However, his mass increase power counteracts these effects to a point.
- Mass Increase: Al can increase his body's mass. His weight is multiplied by his height. Of course, as he weighs more, he has a greater effect on the environment. The power gives Al amazing resistance to physical attacks. He can also use the mass instead of his strength to inflict charging damage. This power is tied to his growth power.
- Al Rothstein/Atom-Smasher was created by Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway, first appearing in All-Star Squadron #25. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Al Rothstein/Atom-Smasher first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Doomsday Clock #12 by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.
- 11 Appearances of Albert Rothstein (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Albert Rothstein (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Albert Rothstein (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Albert Rothstein (Prime Earth)
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.
Justice Society of America member