- I wonder if I should kill you now... or just give you cancer.
- — Doctor Phosphorus src
Doctor Phosphorus is a Batman villain. Dr. Alex Sartorius was a nuclear scientist turned into an atomic freak.
Dr. Sartorius was a member of the Tobacconists' Club, who wanted to build a nuclear power plant in Gotham City with help from the Club's chairman, Rupert Thorne. However, the people of Gotham refused the construction of the plant and he was forced to take the project far from the city. Eventually, Sartorius was transformed by sand irradiated during the nuclear plant's meltdown, driven up one element on the chemical table, from silicon to phosphorus. His body was changed as his skin would burn at any contact and his skeleton showed through his skin. For his mutation, he swore to make Gotham pay by poisoning the water supply. This plan was foiled by the timely intervention of Gotham's protector, Batman, but Phosphorus escaped from the vigilante and contacted Thorne to eliminate Batman. Batman however continued his search for Phosphorus and they eventually clashed in the nuclear power plant where everything started. During the struggle, Dr. Phosphorus fell into the nuclear reactor, creating a big explosion and he was presumed dead.
After the twice-rebuilt Gotham Nuclear Reactor went critical for ten minutes, a group of protesters demanded that the plant be shut down as a safety hazard, but a recently returned Phosphorus worked to prevent it. Sartorius prepared an attack on the protesters at the rally with a chemical rain, but his plan was thwarted by the combined efforts of Batman and Batgirl and he was finally stopped and captured.
Phosphorus was held in Arkham for a long time until the place was destroyed by a new Black Mask. Free once again, Phosphorus kidnapped Francine Langstrom in order to lure her husband, Robert into a trap. Phosphorus managed to capture him, but Robert located Francine and tried to escape. As they were escaping, Phosphorus attacked Francine, which enraged Robert and caused him to transform into Man-Bat without the need of the serum. Man-Bat grabbed Phosphorus and forced him into the waters near the pier, leaving him to his own fate.
- Radiation: Doctor Phosphorus' body perpetually produces harmful radiation. An involuntary power, Phosphorus can use this ability as a weapon to kill his victims with a toxic radiaoactive touch.
- Radiation Production: After being empowered from selling his soul to Neron he seems to give off an aura of radiation in his immediate area and can regulate this effect to burn incoming projectiles or as low as being able keep his clothes from burning.
- Energy Projection: Alexander can manipulate this radiation for various effects. Such as a burning field of radiation in the form of shields or offensively as a radiation explosion. He can also emit toxic fumes from his body in all directions, making it hard to breathe and burning sensitive sensors.
- Superhuman Endurance: His body's major organs are no longer present but the nuclear radiations serves his body for these functions. As such he produces an endlessly clean source of energy for himself, which is also just as endlessly occurring.
- Radiation Dependence: If he were able to shut off his phosphorus form he would die because this form keeps his body running at peak capacity.
- Radiation Sickness: It is suggested that since the radiation replaced his central nervous system that the only function his brain serves to understand now is revenge. Every time he is left to his own devices he plots revenge to Gotham City, never using his powers for anything productive.
- Doctor Phosphorus is also known as Baron of Blight.
- 49 Appearances of Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)