Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Sacrifices must be made. I didn't come to rule Charneltown by being nice.
- -- Doctor Phosphorous src
Alexander Sartorius, preferring to be called Doctor Phosphorous, is the ruler of the underground city of Charneltown that lay beneath Arkham Asylum in Gotham City. With the power to absorb and dispel radiation, Phosphorous was a kind ruler to his people and sought peace between his clan and the rival Warhogs that threatened them. 
Phosphorous had Catwoman deliver his daughter Princess Tinderbox to the Warhogs to marry the leader's son Rake as a symbol of peace between their civilizations. The deal went sour, so Phosphorus went to fight the leader Warhog to begin the war between them. 
However, their fight caused the cave they were in to crumble over top of them, killing Warhog and Tinderbox. Phosphorous was devasted over the death of his daughter, whose corpse he held in his arms after escaping. 
- Leadership: Doctor Phosphorous leads a tribe of disciples in Charneltown, an underground city in Gotham. 
- Doctor Phosphorus (Alex Sartorius) was created by Steve Englehart and Walt Simonson, first appearing in Detective Comics #469. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Ann Nocenti, Rafa Sandoval, and Scott McDaniel's New 52 Catwoman series.
- 17 Appearances of Alexander Sartorius (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Alexander Sartorius (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Alexander Sartorius (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alexander Sartorius (Prime Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member