Aflred Pennyworth was a clerk at an unspecified branch of the British Secret Service. He did little field work, but had access to classified material.
After moving to the States, Alfred entered the service of Thomas and Martha Wayne, to take care of their young son Bruce. After the murder of the Waynes, Alfred became 9-year old Bruce's legal guardian, and stalwart ally in his crusade for justice.
Alfred was Batman's most faithful ally and Bruce's most trusted confident. Alfred feels almost like a father to Bruce.
On one occasion, Alfred fell victim to one of Joker's schemes, when he inhaled some of the laughing gas that the madman spread across Gotham. On his delirious state, Alfred destroyed Wayne Manor's living room almost entirely until he was stopped by a concerned Batman. After the Joker was stopped by Batman, Alfred returned to sanity and cleaned up the mess he created, with guilt.
Afterwards, Alfred was a victim in one of Poison Ivy's schemes. When Alfred filled in for Bruce Wayne at a healt spa called "Eternal Youth", he was poisoned by Ivy with a chemical that could transform people into trees. Alfred and his girl friend Maggie Page were both affected by the serum, but they were eventually rescued by Batman. Alfred returned to normal after a short recovery time at the hospital.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Alfred Beagle. The original character was created by Don Cameron and Bob Kane and first appeared in Batman #16.
- Alfred was voiced by Clive Revill in the first three produced episodes and by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in all following episodes and films.
- 182 Appearances of Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- 6 Images featuring Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- 17 Quotations by or about Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)