Alfred Pennyworth is the prissy and compassionate butler of Bruce Wayne, assisting him as the vigilante the Batman.
Alfred Pennyworth was a clerk at an unspecified branch of the British Secret Service. He did little field work, but had access to classified material.
After moving to the United States, Alfred entered the service of Dr. Thomas Wayne and his wife Martha to take care of their young son Bruce. After the Waynes were murdered, Alfred became 9-year-old Bruce's legal guardian, and stalwart ally in his crusade for justice.
Alfred was Batman's most faithful ally and Bruce's most trusted confidante. Alfred feels almost like a father to Bruce.
On one occasion, Alfred fell victim to one of Joker's schemes, when he inhaled some of the laughing gas that the madman spread across Gotham. On his delirious state, Alfred destroyed Wayne Manor's living room almost entirely until he was stopped by a concerned Batman. After the Joker was stopped by Batman, Alfred returned to sanity and cleaned up the mess he created, with guilt.
Afterwards, Alfred was a victim in one of Poison Ivy's schemes. When Alfred filled in for Bruce Wayne at a health spa called "Eternal Youth", he was poisoned by Ivy with a chemical that could transform people into trees. Alfred and his girl friend Maggie Page were both affected by the serum, but they were eventually rescued by Batman. Alfred returned to normal after a short recovery time at the hospital.
Powers and Abilities
- Computer Hacking
- Computer Operation
- Forensic Pathology
- Mechanical Aptitude: Alfred is capable of doing minor repairs to the Batmobile.
- Military Protocol
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Alfred Beagle. The original character was created by Don Cameron and Bob Kane and first appeared in Batman #16.
- Alfred was voiced by Clive Revill in the first three produced episodes and by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in all following episodes and films.
- 208 Appearances of Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- 9 Images featuring Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- 18 Quotations by or about Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Alfred Pennyworth (DCAU)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.