"Justice Society of America: "The Case of the Bomb Defense Formula"": The Justice Society rescues three American scientists from four enemy agents, learn that the braintrust is working on a device to protect the United States and its allies against bomb
- That bomb defense! Listen- The scientists of the future would have invented air-tight defense! Well, if we go into the future- We can get it…
Appearing in Justice Society of America: "The Case of the Bomb Defense Formula"
- Justice Society of America
- 5th Column
- Black Butch the Killer
- American Scientists (Time Trust, unnamed (First appearance))
- The Defenders
- Dr. Ruger
- High Savant of Ultima
- Professor Damon Everson (First appearance)
- The year 2442
- Amulet of Anubis
- Blackout Bomb
- Bomb Defense Formulas (Eight Parts)
- Cloak of Destiny
- Diving Suit
- Flying Wing Belts
- Giant Catapult
- Gravity Rod
- Doctor Fate's Half-Helmet
- Nth Metal Wings and Belt
- Time Ray
- Solution Y
- Yellow Ray Beam
Synopsis for Justice Society of America: "The Case of the Bomb Defense Formula"
The Justice Society rescues three American scientists from four enemy agents, learn that the braintrust is working on a device to protect the United States and its allies against bombing, and appoint themselves the scientists' guardians. When Johnny Thunder learns that one of the savants, Professor Everson, has already perfected a time-travel ray, the heroes travel to the Earth of 2442, feeling that the bomb defense formula must have been perfected by then, and attempt to bring it back. Hawkman is thrown into a mental hospital by the superstrong cops who do not believe he is Hawkman, but breaks out and learns from a televisabrary the location of the various parts. He knocks out a Future Cop and takes the first one. Most of the other members are not believed as to their identity by the Future beings. Sandman goes down the mines, Starman into a city built atop giant trees, Doctor Fate to a new Atlantis built beneath the ocean, Doctor Mid-Nite performs an operation in utter darkness at a lush resort in the Sahara to establish his identity and gains access to his portion of the formula, and Atom goes to Sky City, home of giants who put him in a bird cage before he flies away with his share. Johnny Thunder meets the Defenders, a futuristic police force who recognize him and try to enlist his help in catching the criminal Black Butch, which the Thunderbolt is able to do, and he gets back with his segment. The Society return to 1942 and a force field is created to protect America.
Appearing in Hop Harrigan: "The Ghost Plane"
- Detective Flannery
- Los Angeles Police Department
Synopsis for Hop Harrigan: "The Ghost Plane"
While on a cross country flight, Hop Harrigan is interrupted by reports of a missing transcontinental passenger flight. Hop finds the plane, but is astounded to see no one flying it. After spotting two parachutes below the plane, he lands, and sees that one of the parachutists, a Nazi spy, has shot the other. Hop subdues the spy, and learns that the spy was smuggling U.S. naval secrets, but was forced to hijack his flight when the plans were discovered. Hop takes the plans, and poses as the spy to infiltrate the spy ring, but is exposed when addressed in German. Hop manages to overcome the leader, and turns him and the plans over to the police.
- All-Star Squadron #2 revealed that Prof. Everson's think tank also included Professor Zee (with his assistant Per Degaton also in attendance), and #29 informed readers that Doctor Doome was a member as well.
- The Bomb Defense formula would later be sabotaged by Per Degaton.
- The Flying Wing Belts are seen in the Trophy Room at JSA Headquarters in JSA Secret Files and Origins #1.
- Reprinted in All-Star Comics Archives Vol. 2.
- No trivia.