"Justice Society of America: "Food for Starving Patriots"": To aid the R.A.F., Hawkman proposes to covertly feed European underground resistance forces. He gives each member of the Justice Society a supply of condensed food capsules that grow to full size meals when s
- With good food in them, Europe's millions will fight harder than ever for an Allied Victory
- — Atom
Appearing in Justice Society of America: "Food for Starving Patriots"
- Justice Society of America
- Royal Air Force (R.A.F.)
- The Sly One
- A gypsy
- Pluto (planet)
- United States of America
- Amulet of Anubis
- Cloak of Destiny
- Food Capsules(First appearance)
- Gravity Rod
- Doctor Fate's Half-Helmet
- Nth Metal Wings
Synopsis for Justice Society of America: "Food for Starving Patriots"
To aid the R.A.F., Hawkman proposes to covertly feed European underground resistance forces. He gives each member of the Justice Society a supply of condensed food capsules that grow to full size meals when sprayed with a secret compound. Each member goes to a different country in Nazi occupied Europe for one month to supply the resistance with the food capsules. After the resistance is fed, each member assists the resistance in sabotaging the occupying Nazi forces.
Hawkman travels to France and works with an underground resistance force to rescue their leader, "The Sly One," who is being tortured by Germans. After feeding the resistance, Hawkman fights his way into the prison to rescue the Sly One, and brings him back to the underground. Starman arrives in Poland and meets up with a group of fighters dressed as ghosts of Polish knights, who are too hungry to carry out their raids. Starman wins their trust with a good meal, and together they liberate a jail and destroy a munitions factory.
The Atom lands in Holland, and feeds a small group of patriots, whom he feeds. After dinner, they show the Atom how they have sabotaged Nazi artillery shells, which contain maps to hidden Nazi hangers. Some of the patriots are captured when the food is discovered, but the Atom poses as a Gestapo officer and rescues them. Doctor Fate infiltrates Germany to help men in concentration camps. He feeds the prisoners, and shows them how to sabotage the artillery shells they are forced to manufacture. A spy inside the camp observes them and reports them to two Gestapo agents. Doctor Fate captures the three men and takes them out of the country so no one else will know about the operation.
Doctor Mid-Nite goes to Norway and goes directly to the leader of the underground. After feeding his family, the leader shows Dr. Mid-Nite a special gun he has invented to destroy submarines. Dr. Mid-Nite aids him and his men in destroying some German ammunition. The Spectre lands in Belgium and frees some members of the underground from a Nazi airplane hanger. After feeding them, they set out to mark the countryside to show to way to Nazi hangers for R.A.F. bombers.
Johnny Thunder goes to Czechoslovakia and feeds a restaurant owner working with the resistance, but due to Johnny's carelessness, he also alerts German soldiers. Johnny blunders into their resistance headquarters and feeds them. After the Thunderbolt eliminates the German soldiers, Johnny has him deliver stolen secret plans to the R.A.F. The Sandman and Sandy go to Greece. They help destroy some Nazi equipment, then pretend to defect to the Nazis in order to disrupt their operation. Later, they deal with the Gestapo who are breaking into civilian homes.
All the members return, and share their stories. The Hawkman tells them that the R.A.F. will keep dropping food capsules every month. All the members file their reports, expect Johnny, who didn't have time to eat, so downs a handful of food capsules and the solution, a decision he immediately regrets.
Appearing in Hop Harrigan: "The Statue of Buddha"
- Japanese armed forces
- Mitsui Mato
- Moa Island
- Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk
Synopsis for Hop Harrigan: "The Statue of Buddha"
Hop Harrigan is working in the highly successful 218th squadron of the U.S. Army Air Force. A spy infiltrates their secret base on Moa Island and reports that the base is almost entirely empty during raids. The Japanese launch a bombing raid when the squadron is out. Hop single-handedly downs all of the bombers, but the crews survive and invade the island. With Tank's help, Hop tricks and disarms the invaders.
- Reprinted in All-Star Comics Archives Vol. 3.
- As explained in America vs. the Justice Society Vol 1 2, Dr. Fate and Spectre used his powers to temporarily halt the Sphere of Influence which covered Europe in this time; in this way, the mystical members of the JSA were not mind-controlled by the Nazis. This was a retcon since the Sphere of Influence itself was a retcon to explain why such powered heroes didn't participate directly in the European part of World War II.
- One of the few times which Sandy participates in a JSA adventure in this age.
- Sandman wears his golden and purple costume, without gas mask.
- Starman makes a reference about the Bowmen of Mons in World War I.
- In Real World, the concentration camps in Berlin were far worse than the depicted.
- Hitler is seen taking omens of a gypsy - But gypsies were one of the people who were exterminated in Nazi concentration camps.
- Spectre leaves Nazi soldiers in Pluto - and they aren't suffocated by its noxious atmosphere.
- In this period of time Czechoslovakia yet was united. It was split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.
- This is Atom's first time in Holland. He will fly over the Holland again in Last Days of the Justice Society Special Vol 1 1.
- Discuss All-Star Comics Vol 1 14 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the All-Star Comics series
- Images from All-Star Comics Vol 1 14