"Episode One": Vicki Vale is in her penthouse when she receives a call from Alfred Pennyworth. Alfred tells her that Bruce Wayne requests her presence this evening for a date to the circus. Vicki is elated at the chance to go out with Gotham City's most eligible
- On your feet, soldier. You've just been drafted. Into a war.
- — Batman
All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder #1 is an issue of the series All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder (Volume 1) with a cover date of September, 2005. It was published on July 13, 2005.
Appearing in "Episode One"
- Batman (Bruce Wayne) (First appearance chronologically)
- Dick Grayson (First appearance chronologically)
Synopsis for "Episode One"
Vicki Vale is in her penthouse when she receives a call from Alfred Pennyworth. Alfred tells her that Bruce Wayne requests her presence this evening for a date to the circus. Vicki is elated at the chance to go out with Gotham City's most eligible bachelor.
Bruce picks her up and the two spend the evening watching the Flying Graysons – a family of aerialists. They are particularly impressed with the death-defying ability of the Grayson's young son, Dick. After the finale, two shots ring out and Dick's parents fall over dead.
Bruce Wayne changes into Batman and apprehends the gunman – Jocko-boy Vanzetti. While Batman deals with Jocko, the corrupt Gotham City Police Department canvas the area. They take the orphaned Dick Grayson into their care, much to the chagrin of Vicki Vale. Vicki doesn't trust the GCPD's intentions, so Alfred and she begin tailing them in Bruce's Rolls Royce.
The police car pulls off at Galt's Gulch, and Dick tells them that he can identify his parents' killer. This is not information that the police really wish to see spread about. They prepare to terrorize Grayson when a wave of bats descends upon them. Batman arrives on the scene in the Batmobile and snatches up Dick Grayson while the cops try to fend off the frenetic bats. Grabbing Grayson by the shirt collar, Batman growls, "On your feet, solider. You've just been drafted. Into a war."
- All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder is published on a bi-monthly schedule and takes place in an alternate continuity from that of the mainstream DC Universe.
- The cover logo for this series was designed by Chip Kidd.
- The reality designation for this series is called Earth-31. This series takes place in the same continuity as The Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again, albeit some thirty years earlier. Superman of Earth-31, who is featured in the weekly limited series Countdown: Arena is said to be the same Superman from the futuristic timeline of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. It's important to note that Superman of Earth-31, is not the same Superman that appears in All-Star Superman. The All-Star Superman series takes place in an entirely different continuity from that of All-Star Batman and Robin.
- Discuss All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder series
- Images from All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder Vol 1 1
- All-Star Batman
- Batman: Year One
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again