Alpheus Hyatt was a scientist who worked at Ivy University, and was a colleague of Raymond Palmer.
He was also a frequent ally of the Atom, but did not know the two were the same. Alpheus invented the "Time Pool" a time travel device which opened a small portal to other times. The device could only open a portal large enough for him to drop a magnet attached to a fishing pole through. Alpheus would "fish" for items that would conclusively prove that his machine worked by allowing him to pull metal objects out from other times.
At first the device only worked randomly, however after some work he upgraded the machine so that he could lock into specific times. Often times as Hyatt would experiment with the Time Pool, Ray Palmer would travel through the portal as the Atom (being small enough to fit into the portal) for various cross-time adventures and to help Alpheus collect items from other eras.
At some point after his time working with the Atom, Hyatt was diagnosed with dementia, and attempted to harness the powers of the time pool to make himself younger, thereby reversing the effects. The time pool bisected Hyatt laterally, with one half of his body lost in time. Claiming to be his own son, Hyatt enlisted the help of Ryan Choi, the new Atom, in restoring himself. Choi fought Ryak, a Linear Men rogue, who saw Hyatt as a threat to the timestream, before learning the truth and agreeing to guard the time pool. The effects on Hyatt were reversed, restoring his body but causing his dementia to return.
- Physics: Alpheus Hyatt is a skilled scientist, who has enough knowledge in physics to build a primitive time machine which can open a small portal to other points in history.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 29 Appearances of Alpheus Hyatt (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Alpheus Hyatt (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Alpheus Hyatt (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alpheus Hyatt (New Earth)