Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Amaya, more commonly known by her human name Amy Winston, is the heir to the throne of House of Amethyst. She hails from Gemworld, a dimension full of people who utilize magic based around Earthly crystals.
As well as protecting her home dimension from threats such as the villainous Dark Opal, Amaya often protects Earth, where she was raised by her mother Lady Graciel. She has served on several Earth based teams including Young Justice, a team comprised of young heroes; and the Justice League Dark, the Justice League's magical division.
- Blood-Power of Amethyst: Amaya draws her power from the blood of the Amethyst lineage. Although she originally only had a third of this power, with her mother and aunt possessing the other parts, she eventually absorbed the full power of her bloodline. This heritage gives Amaya the power to create and manipulate hard-light and crystals, as well giving her an enhanced physiology.
- Energy Projection
- Energy Construct Creation: Using the power afforded by her royal blood, Amaya is able to create constructs of hard light using her mind. She also determines how strong these constructs are. She has created medieval shields, a mace, and other useful tools out of hard light.
- Crystal Enhancement: Using the power of the blood of House of Amethyst, Amaya is able to imbue power into different types of crystals for use by the other Houses. For example she can imbue rubies with the power to heal, emeralds with the power in increase plant regrowth, citrines with the power to record history, and topaz with the power to shine light.
- Omnilingualism: After being branded by the citrine-of-tongues, Amaya possessed the ability to speak, read and understand every language to have ever existed.
- Expert Combatant: Amaya was trained from a young age to fight barehanded. She was able to take down three stronger and bigger men with ease, using just her hands.
- Weaponry: Amaya spent her childhood being forced through rigorous training routines to make her a skilled warrior with multiple types of weaponry. She has wielded a shield and mace with enough proficiency to bring down several demons.
- Swordsmanship: Amaya was trained by her mother everyday for a majority of her childhood on how to wield a sword with great proficiency. In a duel with a House of Onyx assassin named Shadow-Walker Eilla, Amaya was able to outmatch the highly skilled warrior and kill her.
- Throwing: Amaya has become incredibly precise at throwing the crystal-like daggers she constructs. She had proved herself lethal when throwing her daggers, killing the assassin Shadow-Walker Eiya via a throat shot.
- Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld was created by Dan Mishkin, Gary Cohn, and Ernie Colon, first appearing in Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2) #298. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Sword of Sorcery (Volume 2) #0 by Christy Marx and Aaron Lopresti.
- 22 Appearances of Amaya (Prime Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Amaya (Prime Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Amaya (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Amaya (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Young Justice member