- The mortal warriors of Atalanta left their rainforest home most willingly, to fight beside their sisters Amazons in this time of need. They, and your sirsters from Paradise Island. Now, at last, the breach between mortal and immortal Amazon is healed by honor. From this hour fourth, there is but one Amazon family... One sisterhood... One dream.
The Amazons of the Amazon are a tribe that separated from the Amazons of Paradise Island in ancient times and established their new home in the Amazon Rainforest on the banks of the Amazon River, being rediscovered in the modern era by Wonder Woman.
During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Amazons of Atalanta came to the aid of their sisters at the call of the goddess Kore, stepping again on Paradise Island to join forces with the Amazons of Hippolyta to fight together the armies of Ares, Hades and the Anti-Monitor, who tried to extinguish the existence of the Amazons.
Although it was said by Kore that the warriors of Atalanta were mortal (in contrast to the immortal Amazons of Paradise Island), they had lived since leaving their original home, including having mistaken Diana for Artemis, the first Wonder Woman, who lived 3 thousand years ago.
After leaving Themyscira to co-found the Amazons of Bana-Mighdall and leaving them too to bring Maat's message of justice and self-determination to those in need across the outside world, Atalanta arrived in Central America and started her secular battle against Tezcatlipoca's armies, and there she discovered that the concept of an Amazon was not new. The people spoke of advanced warrior women, sweeping up from the south in times of need with might and science: a third tribe of Amazons.
These South American Amazons built outposts hidden from the outside world, and one of them, Esperança Perigosa (Portuguese for Dangerous Hope), a small oceanside city in Brazil, was taken over by the Dark Fates from the Dark Multiverse, who destroyed the protective barrier and exposed the outpost and its all-female inhabitants to the sudden knowledge of the world.
This tribe of Amazons worship goddesses known to Themyscirans and Banas, like Athena and Neith, but they also adopted South American goddesses in their religion, such as Ka-Ata-Killa, the Inca goddess of the Moon.
The Amazons of the Amazon Rainforest have the appearance similar to that of the native peoples of the region, with the difference of being an all-female warrior tribe.
The most prominent among them is the demigod Yara Flor, who inherited the title of Wonder Woman from Princess Diana of Themyscira during her absence. Yara's mother was also an Amazon of that tribe, who begat her from an unnamed Brazilian river god. The warrior Potira, although part of the Amazons of Themyscira, wore a costume in the same style as the Amazons of the Amazon, which probably means that she came from this tribe.
The chief god of their pantheon is Tupã, god of thunder and light, and they also recognize other gods worshipped by the native tribes like Kuat, god of the sun, and his twin brother Iae, god of the moon.
Powers and Abilities
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. The average Amazon possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as the Amazons stay on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Prime Earth
- Luzia Reis
- Wonder Girl (Yara Flor)
- The concept of "Amazons" inhabiting the Amazon Rainforest first arose in the 16th Century, when Francisco de Orellana explored the river Marañón and was attacked by a tribe of warrior women, the Icamiabas. Supposedly likening them to the Amazons of myth, he renamed the river Rio Amazonas, though other theories suggest a native etymology for the river. Whether Dan Mishkin was familiar with these Icamiabas, or simply based this clan on the river's name, is unclear. The concept of a breakaway clan of Ancient Amazons living in South America is not based on any earlier literature.
- Another group of women calling themselves Amazons of Amazonia lived in the Venezuelan jungle, and were encountered by Lois Lane and Superman.
- Appearances of Amazons of the Amazon
- Race Gallery: Amazons of the Amazon
- Images of Amazons of the Amazon