Anakronus was a Justice League villain who pretended to be a time traveler.
The unknown man with a history of mental disturbance who came to call himself Anakronus developed a fixation on the Justice League and wanted to make a big name for himself by making the rest of the world believe that he had once defeated them. Lacking any super-human powers of any kind, he was hampered from becoming a true super-villain, and this apparently frustrated him so much that he concocted a fantasy world for himself in which he was much more powerful and successful. Having been particularly fascinated by accounts of the JLA's early battles with Epoch, The Lord of Time, this mentally-unbalanced man adopted the guise of Anakronus and deluded himself into believing that he had once been partners with Epoch. He then put together a striking costume (based largely on the garb of Roman centurions) and modified a standard .45"-caliber semi-automatic handgun to look like a "chrono-ray" gun, and then set out to "seek revenge" on the Justice League for his "earlier defeat."
He struck during a time when the majority of the JLA members were participating in a telethon, and were thus not able to respond quickly to threats. He then invaded the home of former JLA mascot Lucas "Snapper" Carr and his family, holding them hostage and demanding a huge ransom from the League. To stall for time, Carr kept Anakronus talking, peppering him with questions about his alleged earlier battle with the Justice League; however, he realized that the story was false when Anakronus described J'onn J'onzz, Manhunter from Mars, "the Martian Manhunter," as having fought a fire-breathing dragon--this combat, Carr knew, could not possibly have happened as Anakronus had described it, because the Martian Manhunter's inherent weakness was a vulnerability to fire. At length, Carr was able to alert the League to his troubles, and three Justice Leaguers--the Atom, the Elongated Man, and the Red Tornado--came to his rescue and quickly subdued Anakronus.
The real name of the man who called himself Anakronus was never revealed.
- Anakronus alleged to have a Chronal Transmuter, with which he could evolve or devolve any living being or object following a future or past evolutionary path, being able to turn electronic parts into robots which would create multiple arms to defeat enemies, or evolve a ordinary sun lizard into a giant adapto-lizard, or devolve the entire JLA "into cavemen, then into amoebas, and finally into the very inanimate elements from which the life sprang"...but this gadget was totally false.
- Anakronus's sole weapon was a semi-automatic pistol, of .45-inch caliber, which he had personally modified to resemble a ray gun.
- This version of Anakronus, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Anakronus (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Anakronus (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Anakronus (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Anakronus (Earth-One)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."