The being called Anomaly is actually a clone of former gangster Floyd "Bullets" Barstow.
Following the real Barstow's death, his body was donated for scientific research, and cellular samples from it found their way to Project Cadmus, a facility that specializes in genetic research and cloning. The samples were used to create a clone of Barstow. For a time, the clone, advance-aged to adulthood via unique processes that Cadmus has kept top secret, served as a custodian and test subject for the Project.
At one point, Project Cadmus played unwilling host to a young woman named Misa, who belongs to a race of genetically enhanced beings called the Hairies. Misa, who is naturally curious, decided to investigate Cadmus and see what kind of mischief she could get into. She was therefore attacked by various Cadmus security teams and weaponry, and the Barstow clone also came into contact with her.
Using technology developed by the Hairies, Misa subdued the Barstow clone with a special device. Exposure to this device led to the clone developing super-human powers. It is unknown exactly why this gave him super-powers.
The Barstow clone now has the power to absorb the properties of anything he touches, and to thus transform his entire body into that material. For instance, if he should touch solid steel, then he can become steel himself.
Shortly thereafter, the clone realized that he could use these powers for his own profit, and escaped from Cadmus. Calling himself Anomaly, he quickly drew the attention of a group of villains called the Superman Revenge Squad, organized by media mogul Morgan Edge. Anomaly was invited to join the Squad and did so. However, he and the other Squad members were defeated by Superman, and Anomaly was sent to prison.
A short while later, Anomaly was sprung from prison and recruited by the global criminal network called Intergang as one of its enforcers. Realizing what a goldmine existed at the Project Cadmus, Anomaly was asked to help Intergang take over the facility. Before they could move forward, the Project's security head the Guardian, discovered Intergang's hideout. Anomaly found that he did not have the heart to hurt him, going out of his way to help Guardian escape without Intergang realizing it was intentional. Guardian took Anomaly back to Cadmus with him, hoping they could help.
Powers and Abilities
- Material Duplication: Floyd Barstow' possesses the ability to bodily duplicate at will the physical properties of anything he touches or that touches him. This power extends to both animate and inanimate objects and certain forms of energy. The matter of the Floyd Barstow's body physiologically changes so that his body actually becomes composed of the matter he is making contact with. While he is in this altered state, he still possesses his sentience despite the fact that his brain is now composed of the same material as the rest of him. Among the more ordinary materials he has been transformed into include steel, stone, wood, etc.
- Telepathy: In his first appearance Cadmus scientists noted that Model Four was developing ESP that allowed him to read enough of the thoughts and intentions of an infiltrator to catch them.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 11 Appearances of Anomaly (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Anomaly (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Anomaly (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Anomaly (New Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."