Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
As a mobster in Gotham at the time, Zucco killed the Graysons by making them fall to their deaths during a trapeze stunt.
Sometime after his murder of the Graysons, Zucco fled to Chicago and vowed to turn his life around. Changing his name to Billy Lester, the reforming criminal settled down with a wife, raised a child, and became good friends with the corrupted mayor. Zucco managed to keep his identity a secret pretty well before Richard Grayson, disguised as his alter persona Nightwing, came looking for his parents' murderer.
After his identity had been compromised, Zucco was captured by Nightwing. Zucco, not knowing his capturer to be the son of his victims', unknowingly apologized for his sins. Later, Zucco actually saves Nightwing's life from the terrorist having his way with Chicago, Prankster, by shooting the villain cleanly through the arm as the Prankster was strangling the hero. Zucco was then quickly captured by the police, not resisting his demise.
Later, in jail, Zucco is told that his wife had left him with his child. Trashing his Billy Lester alias, Zucco demands to be called by his real name.
Later, Zucco's daughter Sonia goes to visit him in prison. Zucco expresses immense gratitude in seeing her, despite the pain he must have caused her by going on the run, and vows to make amends to her once he gets out. However, Sonia interrupts him by stating that she will personally ensure that he is never released from prison. Sonia goes on to explain that while Zucco has apologized for leaving her and expressed love for both her and his son, there is one subject that he has avoided. He killed the Graysons.
Without saying another word, Sonia leaves her father in prison.
Powers and Abilities
- Deception: Tony Zucco was able to fake his death, move to Chicago, and start a new life, all without anyone finding out who he really was.
- Boss Zucco (Anthony Zucco) was created by Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson first appearing in Detective Comics #38. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows's New 52 Nightwing series.
- 16 Appearances of Anthony Zucco (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Anthony Zucco (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Anthony Zucco (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Anthony Zucco (Prime Earth)