The Apex Predators were the great warriors of the goddess Perpetua, born from the Human and the Martian races.
15 billion years ago, the fallen member of The Hands: Perpetua searched all universes of her Multiverse for beings rich in potential if harnessed correctly. Her searches lead her to Earth and Mars of the prime reality where she found the Humans and the Martians species. Disappointed by what she saw, she bound both species together, merging their worlds entirely, to create the Apex Predators; perfect killing machines that would live and fight in her name until the end of time.
The Apex Predators governed the first Multiverse until Mar Novu came to confront Perpetua who had doubt on her intentions and found that she altered the core of creation into something that shouldn't never be. Perpetua then ordered her Apexes to attack Mar Novu, forcing him to flee.
Later, Mar Novu, Alpheus and Mobius tried to alert Perpetua's kind on her doings but were emerged by the Apex Predators and Perpetua who learned about their betrayals. The response of the Hands was to send a Cosmic Raptor who sealed Perpetua, her power, and her Apex Predators in the Source Wall where she will watch her Multiverse restart anew without her guiding hand. The Apex Predators were left embedded in the wall, becoming the first Promethean Giants.
After the Multiverse restarted, both species that once formed the Apex Predators were restored back to what they were before the intervention of Perpetua. The story of the Apex Predators was hidden by Krona and the other Maltusians who gathered all evidence. Humans carried the fire that Perpetua created in them, but were left weak in body and mind, while the Martians carried the power she instilled but feared the fire of passion in all its forms. Following the invasion of the Dark Multiverse, the Source Wall was shattered and the cage of Perpetua known as the Totality crashed on Earth. When Superman and Martian the Manhunter went inside the head-shaped structure formed around the Totality, thay meet the detained Apex Predators. After, due to the machinations of Lex Luthor and his Legion of Doom, the Source Wall was destroyed and Perpetua freed, killing the Apexes in the process.
After Perpetua came into ascendance, she was able to restore her army with Lex Luthor as their general. The Apexes were seen during the Justice/Doom War where they fought the Justice League, the Justice Legion, the Justice Society of America and several other heroes. Their current status is unknown though it is very likely that every Apex Predator has perished after the death of Perpetua at the hand of the Batman Who Laughs.
Powers and Abilities
- Apex Predators Physiology: The Apex Predators were inexhaustible and immortal as they were meant to fight and live forever. They had every abilities of the Martians and can match Kryptonians in term of raw strength. They are strong enough to overwhelm cosmic beings such as Mar Novu, Alpheus and Mobius. It was implied by Perpetua that in a hundred thousand years, they would have evolved into their ultimate form capable of killing the Hands.
- Martian Physiology: The average Martian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Shape-Shifting: Martians have psionic control of their physical for down to the molecular level. This allows them to a form of shape-shifting that allows them to mimic other forms, elongate aspects of their body, increase or decrease their physical size, and so on.
- Invisibility: Martians can cause the biopolymers in their bodies to lose their ability to reflect light, making the Martians invisible to normal light and human sight.
- Phasing: Martians can go through solid matter.
- Superhuman Strength: Martians possess vast levels of superhuman strength and are among the few races that are able to match Kryptonians in terms of raw strength. Martians can easily shatter reinforced concrete and steel, lift and carry houndreds of tons with ease and deliver incredible damage with their blows.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Durability: Martians possess high levels of durability that make them nigh-invulnerable to all forms of damage. Martians can withstand high caliber bullets, powerful energy blast and kinetic impacts without suffering damage.
- Superhuman Speed: Martians can process thoughts, move, and react at incredible speed, being able to cover vast distances in little or no time, catch bullets in mid flight, run on water and create afterimages as they run.
- Regeneration: Martians have powerful regenerative powers that enable them to regenerate their entire body from a severed limb, they can furtherly enhance their regenerative powers by drawing mass from nearby sources.
- Extrasensory Input
- Super Hearing
- Heat Vision
- Martian Vision: Martian visual acuity greatly exceed human norms and allows for a wider range of information to be observed. This includes the following:
- Telepathy: Martians have the ability to read the minds of others and project their thoughts to varying degrees. They can also project their mental essences into a gestalt community known as the "Great Mind". Through this, the community can enhance the telepathic strength of other Martians. This power can also enable them to reverse the effects of amnesia or psychological brainwashing. 
- Astral Projection
- Mind Control: As an extension of this, Martians can also use the ability to alter a psychological profile of a target, enabling them to manipulate, and in some cases, outright control that individual. This practice is greatly discouraged however, and only rarely used. 
- Telepathic Relay
- Telepathic Assault
- Telekinesis: Martians have mind-over-matter abilities and can lift and move objects with their minds. They can also employ their telekinesis in offensive way by discharging telekinetic blasts capable of great concussive power.
- The Apex Predators were portrayed as the first Promethean Giants.
- Appearances of Apex Predators
- Race Gallery: Apex Predators
- Images of Apex Predators
Links and References
- Justice League (Volume 4) #22
- Justice League (Volume 4) #16
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #1
- Detective Comics #225
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 4) #2
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 3) #3
- JLA #3
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #8
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #3
- DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Who's Who: Update '88 #2
- Martian Manhunter #4
- Detective Comics #226
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 3) #8