- You learned that the strife which rends your nation -- your world -- must cease. Sooner or later, humanity must stop hitting... killing... which leads to hatred and bloodshed--! I pray you find the splendor in yourselves... before it is too late.
- — Appa Ali Apsa src
Appa Ali Apsa, also known as Old Timer was one of the immortal Guardians of the Universe who chose to act as a representative of the Guardians in their desire to become closer to mortals they had sworn to protect and accompanied Green Lantern and Green Arrow on their cross-country road trip to examine humanity.
Travelling across the U.S.A. on a truck with Green Lantern and Green Arrow, Appa experienced many adventures and learned some valuable lessons about life, observing humanity in their country, in them, and in himself. When Green Lantern was mortally wounded and the Guardian prioritized the welfare of a single individual above of that of a whole world, the remaining Guardians of Oa stripped him of his immortality and sent him to the planet Maltus, where all Guardians originated. He stood there for many years, helping the troubled civilization to thrive.
Return to Guardianhood
Shortly after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Guardians withdrew from the universe to mate with the Zamarons and breed the next generation of immortals, and Appa Ali Apsa was chosen to remain as the counselor of the Green Lantern Corps during their absence. The Honor Guard accompanied him back to Maltus, where he was to teach the newly-appointed Guy Gardner the ways of the Corps.
Following an incident where the Central Power Battery was destroyed, Appa choose to stay on the desolate world of Oa as a "caretaker," to keep its energy alive to sustain the few remaining Power Rings.
The Road Back
Main article: Green Lantern: The Road Back
However, the isolation caused him to slowly lose his sanity. The former Green Lantern called Priest decided to help the insane Guardian, but is ultimately killed by Appa Ali Apsa after refusing to give up his own mind to merge with the Guardian. Now completely insane, Appa Ali Apsa ended his solitude by transporting multiple cities from multiple planets to Oa, as his playthings and company, creating the "Mosaic World". All of them were cities that Appa had visited during his many travels, including one from the USA. Earth's Green Lanterns Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner intervened and opposed the mad Guardian. After an arduous battle, Appa's brethren Guardians returned from oblivion and helped kill the insane Guardian.
Powers and Abilities
Like all Guardians, Appa possessed the ability to channel near limitless power. When severe isolation drove him insane, Appa used his power to terraform Oa into a patchwork planet of alien communities dubbed the "Mosaic World". He was also immortal and had lived for untold millennia prior to his death.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Appa Ali Apsa is card #8 in the Green Lantern customizable card game.
- 46 Appearances of Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)