- You learned that the strife which rends your nation -- your world -- must cease. Sooner or later, humanity must stop hitting... killing... which leads to hatred and bloodshed--! I pray you find the splendor in yourselves... before it is too late.
- — Appa Ali Apsa src
Appa Ali Apsa, also known as Old Timer was one of the immortal Guardians of the Universe who chose to act as a representative of the Guardians in their desire to become closer to mortals they had sworn to protect and accompanied Green Lantern and Green Arrow on their cross-country road trip to examine humanity. Travelling across the U.S.A., Appa experienced many adventures and learns some valuable lessons about life. He later renounced his Guardian title and chose to travel the universe.
Shortly after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Guardians withdrew from the universe to mate with the Zamarons, but Appa Ali Apsa chose to remain alone on the planet Oa. However, the isolation caused him to slowly lose his sanity. The former Green Lantern called Priest decided to help the insane Guardian, but is ultimately killed by Appa Ali Apsa after refusing to give up his own mind to merge with the Guardian.
Now completely insane, Appa Ali Apsa ended his solitude by transporting multiple cities from multiple planets to Oa, as his playthings and company, creating the "Mosaic World". All of them were cities that Appa had visited during his many travels, including one from the USA. Earth's Green Lanterns Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner intervened and opposed the mad Guardian. After an arduous battle, Appa's brethren Guardians returned from oblivion and helped kill the insane Guardian.
Like all Guardians, Appa possessed the ability to channel near limitless power. When severe isolation drove him insane, Appa used his power to terraform Oa into a patchwork planet of alien communities dubbed the "Mosaic World". He was also immortal and had lived for untold millennia prior to his death.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Appa Ali Apsa is card #8 in the Green Lantern customizable card game.
- 48 Appearances of Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Appa Ali Apsa (New Earth)