American Crusader was the first nuclear science-hero.
In 1941, believing he had discovered a new planet near Uranus, Grand University Astronomy professor Archie Masters rushed to inform physicist Professor Scott. Scott was about to split an atom, when Masters was caught in the energy release. After leaving the hospital, he was accosted by a mugger. Manifesting invulnerability and great strength, he defeated the criminal.
Theorizing that, as the energetic power of the atom is practically unlimited, when the atom smasher went off, it rearranged his atomic structure, giving him "virtually limitless power". He swore an oath to protect his country from evil as The Crusader.
In his first adventure, he uncovered a plot to seize power by simultaneously exploding multiple bombs across the country. Tracking the saboteurs to their headquarters, he destroyed them with one of their own bombs.
- Unique Physiology: Archie Masters first got his powers when an atom smasher split an atom and Archie was caught in the energy released from the split. Archie's powers and physiology is nuclear, giving him an impressive amount of power.
- Illness: While Archie's powers made him invulnerable, the world's first science hero, it also gave him cancer. After helping find a cure for a dangerous virus, he died from his illness and his body was placed into the sun as per his last request.
- Based on the Nedor Comics character American Crusader, who is now in the public domain.
- 11 Appearances of Archibald Masters (Earth-ABC)
- 3 Images featuring Archibald Masters (Earth-ABC)
- Quotations by or about Archibald Masters (Earth-ABC)
- Character Gallery: Archibald Masters (Earth-ABC)
This character, team, organization or group of characters exists under the continuity of the America's Best Comics company/imprint, and its respectively owned titles. America's Best Comics was originally an independent publisher, started by notable creator Alan Moore, but was bought by WildStorm Productions, a subsidiary of DC Comics, making all its material DC property. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Earth-ABC Characters category."