Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Areto is one of the Amazons of Themyscira. She teaches Astronomy to younger ones and is responsible for the astronomical observatory of Paradise Island, besides being a member of the Council of Themyscira.
It was during one of her classes that Princess Diana and her classmates saw the plane in flames with Steve Trevor and his companions inside falling on the shores of the island, and Areto realized that her hidden people were discovered.
It was Areto who identified the military character of fallen men, and although she had not agreed to send an Amazon with the sole survivor, Steve, to the Man's World, because the chosen one would lose the right to immortality and she would never return to Themyscira, it was she who supervised the making of the suit with symbols and colors brought by American soldiers to the champion of the contest that would be held to choose the Amazon ambassador.
- This character is an adaptation of Areto, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Areto was created by Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Amanda Conner, first appearing in Ame-Comi Girls: Featuring Wonder Woman #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Areto first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 5) #2 by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott.
- 3 Appearances of Areto (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Areto (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Areto (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Areto (Prime Earth)