"The Last Hope": In Abraxis' home dimension, the unnamed male comforts the unnamed female who was victimized last issue. He stares at Abraxis' castle lamenting the life Abraxis forces them to live. Meanwhile Superman's team assembles in the far future where a madman had blown up the moon which
Appearing in "The Last Hope"
- Abraxis' Home Dimension Natives (all unnamed)
- Enemy Ace
- Flash (Wally West)
- Guy Gardner
- Hawkman (Katar Hol)
- Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal)
- Martian Manhunter
- Power Girl
- Spectre (Jim Corrigan)
- Wonder Woman
- Justice Society of America (Flashback and main story)
- Adolf Hitler (Flashback only)
- Kobra (Flashback only)
- Unnamed Kobra Agents
- Forces of Ragnarok
- Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson) (Flashback only)
- Asgardian Heroes
- Mademoiselle Marie (Flashback only)
- Unknown Soldier (Flashback only)
- Abraxis' Home Dimension
- Time line: Prehistoric Era
- Unknown location
- Time line: Far Future
- Unknown location
- Bracelets of Submission
- Lasso of Truth
- Nth Metal
- Green Lantern Ring
- Spear of Destiny (Flashback only)
- Wonder Woman's Tiara
Synopsis for "The Last Hope"
In Abraxis' home dimension, the unnamed male comforts the unnamed female who was victimized last issue. He stares at Abraxis' castle lamenting the life Abraxis forces them to live. Meanwhile Superman's team assembles in the far future where a madman had blown up the moon which has since crashed to Earth wreaking massive destruction. The heroes engage the Daemen, husks and the simulacrum but fail to stop Abraxis from sending a portion of his consciousness into the simulacrum. The heroes in the prehistoric past also fail to prevent Abraxis' plans and he has now taken possession of all four simulacra. However...
The Spectre, realizing that the heroes would fail, leaves his own battle and finds Waverider. He tells him that a fifth team must go to Abraxis' home dimension and take the villain on as a fifth front, otherwise the other teams will surely fail. Waverider tells Spectre that he cannot risk removing any other heroes from their timeframes or destruction of another kind will occur. Spectre tells Waverider of the JSA who are currently trapped in a limbo dimension where they've been fighting off Ragnarok. Because they currently exist outside of time, they can be called upon without harm to the time stream. Spectre leads Waverider to the limbo and Waverider freezes time while Spectre explains the situation to the JSA who agree to take on Abraxis. They depart while Waverider forces time to stay still which takes tremendous effort.
- The far future to which Superman and the others were sent was the "day after the moon fell to pieces on the ground." Superman says he was here trying to stop a madman from detonating the moon but he failed and was flung back to his present by the force of the explosion. There is no footnote in the issue citing when this occurred, but it took place during the Time And Time Again storyline in the Superman comic book titles in 1991, most notably Adventures Of Superman #478.
- The Spectre's explanation of how the Spear of Destiny caused the Ragnarok is a retcon of the original explanation which was intricately tied to the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
- It is unclear how much of this story is still canon as the simultaneous existence of both the JSA's Carter Hall and Hawkworld's Katar Hol will be negated in future retcons following Zero Hour.
- This is the first appearance of the original Justice Society of America since the Last Days of the JSA Special.
- No trivia.