Arthur Reeves was the Commissioner of Public Works in Gotham City. He would often fume about Batman's behavior, and the influence it had on the city.
Reeves was also sometimes involved with Gotham's economic problems and as a city official, he was present during important meetings at Wayne Enterprises. After many years of campaigning against Batman, Reeves made official his candidature for Mayor of Gotham. Reeves was approached by an unknown person, who provided him with evidence of the Batman's secret identity in order to win the election. Unfortunately for him, the "evidence" he was provided was fake and his reputation was soiled when he made his shocking revelation and the public learned the truth. Reeves' candidacy suffered a low blow and he lost the electoral race to Hamilton Hill. When Reeves confronted the man who gave him the fake evidence, he was shocked to learn that the man behind it all was none other than Crime Boss Rupert Thorne. Subsequently, Reeves abandoned the political arena and never again returned.
His defeat caused Reeves to lose his career and he became one of Gotham's many unemployed mid-aged men. Eventually, he was interrogated by Batman to learn who was responsible for his downfall and Reeves confessed that the man behind it all was Rupert Thorne. This information brought Batman one step closer to bring down Thorne.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 21 Appearances of Arthur Reeves (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Arthur Reeves (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Arthur Reeves (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Arthur Reeves (New Earth)