Arthur Thompson was the first superhero, the radiation powered Atom.
During the 1960's, the American government began a program of research, exposing test subjects to radiation. All died, except one - Arthur Thompson, who gained atomic powers. He entered the public eye in 1962, when he intervened in the Cuban Missile Crisis, saving untold millions of lives.
He became famous as the world's first superhero, but he was never close to the public eye. However, he refused to get involve in world affairs, especially during the Czech war. The following year, he moved his family to the Moon before retiring from heroics for good.
He had at least two children, which one of them carried on as Arthur's successor to bearing the mantle of the Atom. Arthur's grandson, Adam, became the third incarnation of the Atom following the death of Arthur's son at the hands of the Fatal Five.
- Unique Physiology
- Flight: Undefined "atomic" powers, which allowed him to fly.
- Gravity Manipulation: Footage of him from during the Cuban Missile Crisis shows him flying between two rockets, appearing to move them.
- Interstellar Travel: He is shown surviving in space (albeit with a gas mask).
- Density Control
- Superhuman Speed: Fast enough to escape a nuclear explosion.
- Energy Projection
- Enhanced Intellect
- Arthur Thompson's origins in radiation experiments on human beings committed by the U.S. military is based on what actually occurred in the 1950's, such as the Desert Rock exercises.
- Arthur Thompson's early costume was conceived on with a "committee mentality" and parts of the costume are a stylized version of an astronaut's suit while limited by the technology of contemporary time.
- 8 Appearances of Arthur Thompson (Earth-9)
- 2 Images featuring Arthur Thompson (Earth-9)
- Quotations by or about Arthur Thompson (Earth-9)
- Character Gallery: Arthur Thompson (Earth-9)