- I'm not afraid of the dark.
- — Ash src
Once a simple farmer, Ash lived on a world terrorized by vampires in Sector 650. Sometime after his wife Tasha was killed by one of them, he was inducted into the Green Lantern Corps and began a crusade against vampires in his sector. After avenging his wife by killing the one who murdered her, Ash learned that the monsters in his sector were disciples of cosmic vampire Starbreaker, who he has dedicated himself to destroying.
When the Green Lantern Corps was destroyed by the rogue Hal Jordan during Emerald Twilight, Ash survived the attacks. After Jordan sacrificed himself to save Earth from the Sun-Eater in The Final Night, Ash was one of the few former Lanterns who attended Jordan's funeral, along with Brik, Salakk and Torquemada.
He rejoined the Corps when it was reestablished during Green Lantern Corps: Recharge. Ash was one of the many Green Lanterns who rallied together to stop Superboy-Prime at the end of Infinite Crisis.
Later, during the War of Light, because he did not fear the things that lurked in the dark, the Scarred Guardian assigned him the task of locating the corpse of the Anti-Monitor. After some time searching, Ash located the Anti-Monitor's helmet, the angle of which indicated that the body was located somewhere in Sector 666... base of the Black Lantern Corps. He goes for weeks without seeing any light beyond that of his own ring. On his search, Ash meets fellow Lantern Saarek who claims to have the ability to talk to the dead. Saarek tells him that his wife abhors his killing in her name, and wishes he could cleanse his soul of the darkness of revenge to life a life of light instead. Outraged, Ash doesn't want to hear it. The two discover that they were both given the same mission, and decide to team up. Despite his wife's wishes, Ash insists that tracking down the beings responsible for his death is his reason for living, and he can't abandon it. On Ryut, the two find the Black Lantern Central Power Battery, and Saarek announces that their presence has awoken a great force, Nekron. Two giant hands rise out of the ground to attack them.
- Black Lantern Ring
- Green Lantern Ring
- Ash makes a non-canon appearance in Green Lantern vs. Aliens, an intercompany crossover with Dark Horse Comics. He teams up with Kyle Rayner, Brik, M'hdahna and a Xudarian named Tomar-Dar against the titular Aliens.
- In his first appearance, Ash had three fingers cut off from his right hand with a blade. In later appearances, he appears to have had them reattached.
- The back of Ash's uniform bears a christian cross. Although Ash's religion has never been discussed, this symbol is frequently believed to help ward off vampires.
- Ash's full name was revealed to be "Ashel Sabian Formanta" in Green Lantern (Volume 4) #42.
- 12 Appearances of Ashel Sabian Formanta (New Earth)
- 15 Images featuring Ashel Sabian Formanta (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Ashel Sabian Formanta (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ashel Sabian Formanta (New Earth)
- ↑ Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #7
- ↑ Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files and Origins #1
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 3) #49-50
- ↑ The Final Night #4
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 3) #81
- ↑ Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #1
- ↑ Infinite Crisis #7, see excerpt
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 4) #27, see excerpt
- ↑ Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns #1, see excerpt
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 4) #41, see excerpt
- ↑ Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2) #37, see excerpt
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 4) #42, see excerpt
- ↑ Blackest Night #4
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."