Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Atlan, commonly known as the Dead King, was a great king of Atlantis centuries ago responsible for the sinking of Atlantis after his brother, Orin the First, slew his family.
Centuries ago, Atlan ruled Atlantis. Atlantis expanded under his leadership with its land growing into seven different kingdoms. When his brother, Orin, became disgusted with Atlan's open race policy, he usurped power from Atlan to protect its people from polluting their bloodline. In the battle, Atlan was injured and retreated into the ocean. Orin murdered Atlan's wife and children while he was not there to protect them.
Over the next year, Atlan forged seven weapons using the Alchemist's Gold to retake Atlantis. Stricken with grief for the loss of his kingdom and family, Atlan used the scepter to sink Atlantis. Of Atlantis' seven kingdoms, four were destroyed and three survived: Atlantis, the Trench and the Kingdom of Xebel. Soon after, he fell into a magical sleep.
Upon Atlan's return after being ressurected by Vulko, the Xebelians and Trench would yield to their 'true' king while the Atlanteans went to war, led by Aquaman. Atlan attempted to use his scepter to destroy Atlantis again but was stopped by the strength and willpower of Aquaman to protect the city. Atlan melted into the magma of a fresh lava vent along with the scepter under Arthur's power.
Powers and Abilities
- Atlantean Physiology
- Immortality: Atlan has lived for centuries and was mobile even after having spent much of that time in a mystical slumber.
- Magic: As an ancient Atlantean born during the era of ancient Atlantis, Atlan possess vast magical abilities.
- Cryokinesis: Atlan has the ability to control snow and ice at will, his control over the power so acute he can negate Mera's aquakinesis powers to control it.
- Mystical Endowment: With his magical powers, Atlan is capable of accustoming himself to the deep sea similar to the like of modern Atlanteans.
- Superhuman Strength: Atlan's strength allows him to be able to battle the likes of Aquaman to the point of even drawing blood.
- Superhuman Durability: He was capable of withstanding stab wounds from both Orin the First and seven of his best warriors as well as able to withstand attacks from Aquaman.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Atlan was highly efficient in the art of war, including hand-to-hand combat.
- Weaponry: Atlan is highly sufficient in wielding a trident.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Dead King's Scepter: The most powerful of all his hand crafted relics. With this Trident Atlan held sovereignty over the nations of Atlantis and thanks to their primal imprint, it enables control over the Trench.
- Trident of Neptune (Formerly)
- Atlan was created by Peter David and Esteban Maroto, first appearing in Atlantis Chronicles #5. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Atlan first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Aquaman (Volume 7) #17 by Geoff Johns and Paul Pelletier.
- Though he is predated by the sorcerer-king and ancestor, Arion, both him and Atlan share the description of being the "first" and "greatest" in Atlantean history for unknown reasons.
- 14 Appearances of Atlan (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Atlan (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Atlan (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Atlan (Prime Earth)
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."