Atlanteans are the native race that inhabit the content of Atlantis. Not to be confused with the similarly aquatic race, merpeople, the modern Atlanteans are descended from both ancient human and homo magi ancestors who sank below the ocean along with the fabled continent and evolved to survive their new environment.
They're divided into numerous sub-groups. Atlantean is the term generally applied to the collective groups of citizens who reside in the undersea continent known as Atlantis. Smaller, more distinctive subspecies such as the Tuatha De Danann refer to themselves simply by their tribe name, and do not typically refer to themselves as Atlanteans.
Powers and Abilities
- Atlantean Physiology: The physiological make-up of the average Atlantean is dramatically different from that of a normal human being. Although a splinter species of baseline humanity, Atlanteans have evolved over the centuries and have adapted physical characteristics that make them more suited for life beneath the sea. This grants them them:
- Amphibious Nature: Atlanteans are capable of breathing while submerge underwater, possessing a set of gills on their body.
- Superhuman Strength: Because they live in some of the deepest parts of the ocean, Atlantean bodies are capable of moving with ease even with 1086 (approximately over half a ton) pounds of pressure applied to them. They possess muscle density ten times that of a human being.
- Superhuman Durability: Atlanteans can withstand the pressure of the ocean with ease, their skin is considered nearly bullet-proof, and they are naturally resistant against heat and energy.
- Enhanced Senses: Atlanteans possess natural senses attuned for living in the ocean, granting them a natural advantage on land.
- Superhuman Speed: They are capable of moving, reacting, running and swimming at superhuman speeds.
- Superhuman Agility: Atlanteans perfect balance, bodily coordination, and/or perfect equilibrium to a point far in excess to that of a normal human being on Earth, their bodies being able to coordinate easily while under the pressure of the ocean.
- Superhuman Stamina: Atlanteans have the ability to maintain continuous physical actions for an undefined period longer than an ordinary human.
- Accelerated Dehydration: Atlanteans dehydrate at a accelerated rate compared to human. Though Atlanteans possess lungs enabling them to breathe air, Atlanteans not acclimated to dry land become exhausted after a limited amount of time, requiring a level of training to breathe air at a rate comparable to humans.
- Vulnerability to Sensory Overlord: With their enhanced senses, an Atlantean can be overtaxed to from external stimuli. Sunlight is noted to be difficult for Atlanteans to get use to, sometimes requiring them to wear thick goggles. Hypersonics are also capable of disorienting their senses.
Gravity: 1 G
Atmosphere: Ancient Atlanteans thrived in an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. Modern Atlanteans can nautrally survive in an underwater climate and surface environments to varying extents dependent on the individual.
Type of Government:
Parliamentary republic, formerly monarchy
Level of Technology:
- Albart of Ancinar
- Garn Daanuth
- Lady Chian
- Aquaman (Earth-Two)
- Aquagirl (Tula)
- Lori Lemaris
- Nuada Silverhand
- Tuatha De Danann (race)
- Poseidonians: The Poseidonians make up the majority of all Atlanteans and reside in the city-state of Poseidonis. Pre-cataclysmic Atlanteans were essentially human, but following the Great Deluge, they were forced to adapt to living beneath the sea. A special serum gave them amphibious characteristics, but after only a few short years, these Poseidonians lost their ability to process oxygen through normal means. They evolved into a race of completely aquatic people and remain so to this day. A Poseidonian (and most other Atlanteans) can only survive out of the water for up to one hour before they must replenish themselves in the sea.
- Tritonians: Nearly 10,000 years ago, a group of Poseidonians migrated from their home city and re-established themselves in the ruins of Tritonis. These Atlanteans were followers of the wizard Shalako and as such, became known as Shalakites. The mad Shalako cursed his followers after what he felt was a great betrayal and their bodies evolved into the Mer-people of modern-day Tritonis.
- Idylists: The Idylists were another sub-group of Atlantean with humanoid features, similar to those of neighboring Poseidonis. The Idylists were a superstitious people and ostracized those who were born with certain abnormalities (such as purple eyes). The super-hero known as Tempest (formerly Aqualad) was one of the Idylists.
Ancient Human Atlanteans
- Homo Magi
- Sea Lights
- Mutants: Also known as the Sea Changed or Taint-Bloods, mutants are Atlanteans born with a variant physiology, generally appearing less human-like and more resembling marine animals. Mutants can vary from almost normal in appearance such as Dolphin, to fish-like but humanoid such as Lagoon Boy, to so mutated as to appear completely inhuman such as Krush. Some mutants possess additional powers beyond those shared by all Atlanteans.
- Blonde hair is believed to carry the Curse of Kordax.
- Some subspecies possess more marine-like traits, such as Mermaids or the Shark people of Tritonis. The aforementioned characteristics apply only to baseline (Poisedonis) Atlanteans.
- It has been stated on separate occasions that Atlanteans do and do not have lungs.