Atlas is a mighty gladiator, champion and liberator from a land far away in time and space.
In ancient times in a faraway land, the mighty hero Atlas became a champion of the oppressed in his struggle against the despotic King Hyssa. As a youth, Atlas had been one of the peaceful people of the Crystal Mountains until King Hyssa's raiders attacked the village. Burning Atlas' home to the ground, killing his father, and capturing everyone he knew or cared about, Hyssa unwittingly made himself a powerful enemy that would pursue him for years.
Wearing his magic crystal pendant, Atlas escaped the slavers and found a new home with a kind-hearted man named Chagra. It was not long before Chagra realized the boy possessed incredible strength. He became Atlas' manager, and accompanied him on his journeys, watching the young hero rescue citizens and defeat evil princes. Finally arriving in the capital city of Hyssa, Atlas touted his strength in the marketplace, where he fought challengers one-on-one. it is unknown whether Atlas eventually succeeded in taking his revenge on the sinister King Hyssa. What is known is that his heart grew dark and villainous.
Years into his reign, Atlas was pulled through time by Project 7734's Time Pool technology, at the behest of General Samuel Lane, who wanted Atlas to work for him against alien threats like Superman. Atlas was distrustful at first, but ultimately agreed. He fought Superman to a standstill, and is Project 7734's go-to asset whenever Lane wants someone "roughed up".
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength: Atlas strength is so great that he can fight toe-to-toe against the Man of Steel.
- Wears a pendant which is the source of his powers.
- The golden Helmet of Champions, which symbolizes his victory in the gladitorial arena.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- It is unclear if Atlas lived on Earth in ancient times or in another, magical dimension like Skartaris or Myrra.
- 23 Appearances of Atlas (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Atlas (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Atlas (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Atlas (New Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."